The Student Room Group

Can I Drop GCSE Latin now?

Hi TSR Members,

In a perplex, totally confused pressure building up as in mocks scored 2 in Latin and was given the chance to resit the Latin mock, I tried my best but still looks like I will fail the mock resit again.

Please can someone tell me can I drop GCSE Latin from my finals in May/June 2018?

If so what will be the impact on my final GCSE Certificate as none subject will be less as comapred to my other class/ school fellows.

Thanks in advance
Hey there :biggrin: I take GCSE Latin right now and I believe that with work you will be able to easily raise this mark. As for whether you're allowed to drop it, this totally depends on what your school think. I don't know whether they would let you or not, but seeing as your mock mark was rather low, this may be a possibility.

However, I honestly think that GCSE Latin is hard work more than anything, and if you put effort into learning your prose and verse set texts you can basically bullsh*t your way through the rest... I got 9s in all mocks for Latin as I had thoroughly learnt the prose and verse set text (if you are doing Druids and Aeneid I can link you the quizlets I made for them with the English translations) and the rest comes with practice. For a lot of the questions it's just comprehension and for the language analysis you can easily practice this on flashcards or simply through looking at your text and annotations a lot. If you don't have annotations I will be happy to send mine to you but I don't know how understandable they would be :tongue: For language, you HAVE to start learning the prescribed list NOW. If you do this and learn the language devices (ablative absolutes, indirect statements and all that) you will be ok.
Original post by mundosinfin
Hey there :biggrin: I take GCSE Latin right now and I believe that with work you will be able to easily raise this mark. As for whether you're allowed to drop it, this totally depends on what your school think. I don't know whether they would let you or not, but seeing as your mock mark was rather low, this may be a possibility.

However, I honestly think that GCSE Latin is hard work more than anything, and if you put effort into learning your prose and verse set texts you can basically bullsh*t your way through the rest... I got 9s in all mocks for Latin as I had thoroughly learnt the prose and verse set text (if you are doing Druids and Aeneid I can link you the quizlets I made for them with the English translations) and the rest comes with practice. For a lot of the questions it's just comprehension and for the language analysis you can easily practice this on flashcards or simply through looking at your text and annotations a lot. If you don't have annotations I will be happy to send mine to you but I don't know how understandable they would be :tongue: For language, you HAVE to start learning the prescribed list NOW. If you do this and learn the language devices (ablative absolutes, indirect statements and all that) you will be ok.

Thanks mundosinfi,
I will ask my student support and discuss what they say.

I will be extremely thankful if you can send me the links and the annotations

Thanks in advance.
Original post by helpintransfer
Thanks mundosinfi,
I will ask my student support and discuss what they say.

I will be extremely thankful if you can send me the links and the annotations

Thanks in advance.

It's no problem - go ahead and do that. :tongue: I can put the links on here: https://quizlet.com/270403403/gcse-prose-latin-druides-tumultus-et-rebellio-flash-cards/ (Prose) and https://quizlet.com/269847253/aeneid-gcse-full-flash-cards/ (Verse) - this is only Druids, Tumultus et Rebellio and the set text from Aeneid Books 4 and 6 - if you click on my username you can get the separate quizlets for each section if you don't like to do it as a whole.
I could send the annotations but I'm afraid that would be many pages - if you wanted to PM me an email or other social media where you can send photos (preferably instagram or something) I can do so on there. Just a warning, you may not understand all of them because they're kinda messy lol
Also I'm just going to tag @Sonechka in this as I know she got an A* in Latin GCSE and may have some useful tips to give you - she made a thread on it too :tongue: (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4945918)
Original post by mundosinfin
Also I'm just going to tag @Sonechka in this as I know she got an A* in Latin GCSE and may have some useful tips to give you - she made a thread on it too :tongue: (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4945918)

@mundosinfin Thanks again for your help
Original post by helpintransfer
Hi TSR Members,

In a perplex, totally confused pressure building up as in mocks scored 2 in Latin and was given the chance to resit the Latin mock, I tried my best but still looks like I will fail the mock resit again.

Please can someone tell me can I drop GCSE Latin from my finals in May/June 2018?

If so what will be the impact on my final GCSE Certificate as none subject will be less as comapred to my other class/ school fellows.

Thanks in advance

let us know what u get in latin

Quick Reply

Latest