Turn on thread page Beta

10 month policy - bonus accelerator or 12 months Insurance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am picking up my car tomorrow, so I need insurance.

Admiral is giving me a 10 month policy bonus accelerator for £635.95 or (I called to know, because the website doesnt provide this) £765 for 12 months.

I asked the advisor over the phone which would be best and he told me by law he can't say what's best/not best, that it would come down to me.

So, based on your experience and knowledge what would you say?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EBastos)
    I am picking up my car tomorrow, so I need insurance.

Admiral is giving me a 10 month policy bonus accelerator for £635.95 or (I called to know, because the website doesnt provide this) £765 for 12 months.

I asked the advisor over the phone which would be best and he told me by law he can't say what's best/not best, that it would come down to me.

So, based on your experience and knowledge what would you say?

Thanks
    The 10 month policy works out a couple of quid cheaper for you, and it'll allow you to change insurer after only 10 months.

Six and two threes, really, it just depends how quickly you want that first year NCB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    The 10 month policy works out a couple of quid cheaper for you, and it'll allow you to change insurer after only 10 months.

Six and two threes, really, it just depends how quickly you want that first year NCB.
    The question is, is NCB really worth it in terms of money difference for when I renew it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The question is, is NCB really worth it in terms of money difference for when I renew it?
    Your first year NCB provides a significant discount in the following year.

It really is up to you, but you're not going to be at any financial loss by picking either option.

ReputationRep:
    Your first year NCB provides a significant discount in the following year.

It really is up to you, but you're not going to be at any financial loss by picking either option.
    Got it thanks.

Guess that last sentence is what made my day.

I might go to the 10 month policy so I don't have my servicing + MOT + Insurance all on the same month

ReputationRep:
    I did the 10 month policies for a couple of years, mainly to rack up that sweet, sweet NCB. The main reason we don't do it now is that we have a multi-car policy and I don't think they let you do both NCB accelerator and multi-car. I have five or six years no claims these days anyway so it doesn't matter as much. Definitely worth it though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate, yea the 10 month policies are great, whilst it's a long way ahead you get 7 years ncb for 6 but generally it's nice to get your first year 2 months early. A lot of insurers now do this as standard tbh.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I ended up choosing yesterday thanks.

Going to pick ups the car today, but its snowing so much :O and it's the first time I am driving in UK
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    and it's the first time I am driving in UK
    Do remember that we drive on the left.

ReputationRep:
    Do remember that we drive on the left.
    Some of our own people haven't even grasped that yet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Some of our own people haven't even grasped that yet.
    Touché.

ReputationRep:
    Drove yesterday for 3h with a friend... Literally just a matter of getting used to it, since I know how to drive

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.