The Student Room Group

R.S GCSE 9-1 AQA how to revise it?

I’m unsure how to revise R.S and I’m aiming for an 8 or higher. What can I do?
I just do practice questions in timed conditions and get my teacher to give me feedback
Reply 2
Original post by Harry-Pikesley
I just do practice questions in timed conditions and get my teacher to give me feedback

What about learning beliefs, practices what do you do?
Hey im in year 10 and am finding rs quite hard haha, what topics are you doing?
get the specification know everything.

do tests under timed conditions.

get 9
Reply 5
Original post by trill_val
get the specification know everything.

do tests under timed conditions.

get 9

I use the specification but it’s vague it just tells us what beliefs to look at without giving extra detail. Is it also ok if I do the bare minimum and still do good?
I do Edexcel. Generally though they should help
-Just make a summary of every topic
-Note down key events
-Note down really awesome quotes! Like honestly, ones that can be used for lots of different things like "humans are made in the image of god" or "love thy neighbour" and crap.
-RS is the easiest subject to blag about-even easier than English at times! Find out ways to link ideas to each other; similar to finding awesome quotes.

Honestly RS is quite an easy subject, as its pretty opinion based and questions (in edexcel they are called "A [3marker]" "B[4 marker]" and "C[5 marker]" or something along those lines) that require factual knowledge are literally just recall. The tiniest bit of application is needed and its always easy to blag about that.

You just gotta make sure you learn the content; Learning the content pretty much guarantees you the pass; applying it gives you the good grades. Make sure you have good ways of learning this content-I hate flashcards, but do them if you want. Whatever floats the boat. Oh and its cringey but songs are amazing as well (like 6 days creation song lol), especially hymns for Christianity lol.

I guess the best thing to practice exam technique is to go over past paper questions; everyone knows this. Pretty much make sure you are always relating to the question and make sure your arguments for 12+ markers are strong and concise; it isn't like History where you lead up-to the point.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mc_miah
I do Edexcel. Generally though they should help
-Just make a summary of every topic
-Note down key events
-Note down really awesome quotes! Like honestly, ones that can be used for lots of different things like "humans are made in the image of god" or "love thy neighbour" and crap.
-RS is the easiest subject to blag about-even easier than English at times! Find out ways to link ideas to each other; similar to finding awesome quotes.

Honestly RS is quite an easy subject, as its pretty opinion based and questions (in edexcel they are called "A [3marker]" "B[4 marker]" and "C[5 marker]" or something along those lines) that require factual knowledge are literally just recall. The tiniest bit of application is needed and its always easy to blag about that.

You just gotta make sure you learn the content; Learning the content pretty much guarantees you the pass; applying it gives you the good grades. Make sure you have good ways of learning this content-I hate flashcards, but do them if you want. Whatever floats the boat. Oh and its cringey but songs are amazing as well (like 6 days creation song lol), especially hymns for Christianity lol.

I guess the best thing to practice exam technique is to go over past paper questions; everyone knows this. Pretty much make sure you are always relating to the question and make sure your arguments for 12+ markers are strong and concise; it isn't like History where you lead up-to the point.

lol "love thy neighbour" and "do not kill" can be used for anything
The AQA revision guide is really helpful, I have the CGP one too but the detail isn't the best because it covers all religions and all themes, whereas the AQA revision guide only has Christian Practices,Beliefs, & Islamic Practices,Beliefs, as well as the 6 Thematic Studies too. This is the link for it https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Religious-Studies-Christianity/dp/0198422830/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519678278&sr=8-4&keywords=aqa+gcse+religious+studies+9-1 so I guess it helps if you're doing Christianity + Islam, but I think they do sell the same book but for different religions too (Buddhism + Christianity etc.) I agree with the other person that said to do practice questions, in timed conditions , - stress on the timed conditions because time is really not on my side in this exam haha. So that's something I work on. Also the book has practice questions, and answers so you know what the examiners are looking for. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by indie.sxnds
The AQA revision guide is really helpful, I have the CGP one too but the detail isn't the best because it covers all religions and all themes, whereas the AQA revision guide only has Christian Practices,Beliefs, & Islamic Practices,Beliefs, as well as the 6 Thematic Studies too. This is the link for it https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Religious-Studies-Christianity/dp/0198422830/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519678278&sr=8-4&keywords=aqa+gcse+religious+studies+9-1 so I guess it helps if you're doing Christianity + Islam, but I think they do sell the same book but for different religions too (Buddhism + Christianity etc.) I agree with the other person that said to do practice questions, in timed conditions , - stress on the timed conditions because time is really not on my side in this exam haha. So that's something I work on. Also the book has practice questions, and answers so you know what the examiners are looking for. :smile:

Thank you so much for this revision guide recommendation I’ll definitely test it out. Also is there a lot of information in the book or is it nicely condensed?
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
Thank you so much for this revision guide recommendation I’ll definitely test it out. Also is there a lot of information in the book or is it nicely condensed?

Nicely condensed, not too much, but enough of what you need to know, I can take a few pictures as an example and send them to you?
Create a mind-map of topics
I do AQA and this is what I do: I like to take nice notes during lessons and read them over at the end of the lesson to understand everything covered, then I try to condense the whole topic, using key words and short explanations of everything on one A4 card before we have an assessment on it. I use my CGP book and revision guide for this as well as Google so I have like two quotes for each topic. To be honest, R.S. doesn't require an immense amount of revision but more of practice questions. I consistently get 8+ by following a specific structure in my exams:
Q1 - Process of elimination unless I know the answer
Q2 - Normally you can guess, but make sure your answers are sensible, e.g. 'How do Christians celebrate Easter', don't say easter eggs. Trust me, I tried LOL
Q3 - Point, explanation. Point, explanation.
Q4: Like an extension of Q3 but with quotes and quote explanation: point, explanation, quote, explain why this quote backs up your point x2.
Q5: The way I do this question is really extra and long, I normally write like 1 and a half pages. So, I skip doing an introduction, then I do one paragraph: FOR the statement, AGAINST, FOR. Then I do another paragraph, AGAINST, FOR, AGAINST. I do this so I have counter arguments and I try to use 'This argument could be seen as inconsistent/flawed because...". Also make sure to add any quotes you could relate to your points. Then at the end, weigh up everything you talked about and either be overall for and against for top marks.
Also another good thing to do is plan the answers to twelve mark questions so that if it does come up in the exam, you're prepared.
Reply 13
Original post by indie.sxnds
Nicely condensed, not too much, but enough of what you need to know, I can take a few pictures as an example and send them to you?

Yes that would be amazing
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
Yes that would be amazing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sr7iGwwv0RgAIWWsyurhBIJE81ji3wxN here you go :smile:
Reply 16
Anyone doing Buddhism?
Does anyone do st mark’s gospel? How do you revise for it?

Quick Reply

Latest