Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please, can I have help with answering this question on cystic fibrosis?

''Could any of the people that are shown as unaffected be carriers of cystic fibrosis? Explain your answer?''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmiing)

''Could any of the people that are shown as unaffected be carriers of cystic fibrosis? Explain your answer?''

You can write that cystic fibrosis is caused by a recessive allele, so a person would need homozygous genotype, meaning two recessive alleles, to have the condition. Explain that a person with heterozygous genotype, meaning they have one recessive allele and one dominant allele, for the condition can be a carrier without being affected. A heterozygous person could pass the gene onto their children if their partner is heterozygous or homozygous with the recessive allele which is why they're said to be a carrier.

(you didn't say what level you're studying, as I'm at GCSE that's about as much as I know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmiing)

it'd help if we could see the family tree that this question is referring to, you could probably then write about how the allele is skipping generations and as a result the unaffected people must be carriers. Skipped generations is a classic sign of recessive conditions, maybe draw some punnet squares to help illustrate your point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.