Turn on thread page Beta

PHYSIOLOGICAL SEX and GENDER - Not Mutually Determining. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    But these aren't my ideas of gender, I'm picking out simple examples of gender expectation that have long stood and challenging them. I think you might have the wrong end of the stick with me. I agree that all people should be free to adopt, reject, mix-up or self-create whatever 'gender' makes them happy.
    My point is that this idea of gender, if not a gender role, is surely meaningless? It’s beyond me why people can’t accept being male or female and then behaving in anyway that makes them happy; whether that be doing things that are traditionally masculine or feminine
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    feed children, change nappies and knit
    These are long established gender stereotypes. I think we've come a long way from that now. A lot of men do in fact care for his babies as much as the mother does.

But hormones do play a role in determining gender roles. During childbirth, oxytocin makes women feel in love and connected with their newborn, which I guess is partly why women are stereotyped to be the caring and affectionate one of the two parents.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, most males and females are born with all limbs.
    Meaning, they can perfom general tasks that requires the use of their limbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystelle)
    But hormones do play a role in determining gender roles...
    Hormones may well play a part in attracting some individuals by some degree towards some behaviours some of the time and which may generally show a statistical difference of orientation between the sexes in this regard but that is not the same thing as claiming gender roles are *determined* by hormones, gender roles are constructed and enforced by social and cultural action.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.