Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chickwn)
    Currently, I am trying to make a decision on my offers and struggling on what to choose as my first choice on the offers. I got offered by university of Southampton and university of Surrey for an Electrical & Electronics Engineering course (EEE), however, I am in a dilemma because

University of Southampton offered me : Foundation year (year 0) and

University of Surrey: (year 1)

My questions now are,

1. Should I "waste" a year in foundation? Is it a waste?

2. Is it worth it and why?

My pros and cons of foundation year in university of Southampton

Pros:

- Able to work part-time (Experience)

- More free time to spent on learning new things such as coding and further develop my skills of my hobbies (piano, guitar, basketball)

- Able to explore more and learning about myself more on to what I like and not (self development)

- better connection (because uni in Russell group)

- more prestige in terms of engineering especially in EEE, hence, "better" diploma (don't really know if its true. Any Engineer graduates which can can answer this that would be helpful)

- I like the optional and normal modules much more compare to university of Surrey's modules

Cons:

- Money (extra year)

- 90% of modules of foundation learnt in IB diploma (hence, won't be learning anything new)

- potentially can be considered a "waste" where I could just go straight in 1st year in university of Surrey and graduate and then do the same thing as to what I want to do in foundation such (self development)(Experiences in work)(have time for learning new things and further improve on my hobbies)
    Unless you really want to go to Southampton there's probably not much point in doing the foundation year.

If you want more time on your hobbies and to learn programming, then maybe a gap year might be a good idea - particularly if you do a work placement of some sort in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Unless you really want to go to Southampton there's probably not much point in doing the foundation year.

If you want more time on your hobbies and to learn programming, then maybe a gap year might be a good idea - particularly if you do a work placement of some sort in it.
    Yeah I was thinking about that too but will anybody accept me in a work placement that is related to programming of some sort with absolute no experience? If you have any further advice on where I could potentially apply and get in that would be super helpful. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chickwn)
    Yeah I was thinking about that too but will anybody accept me in a work placement that is related to programming of some sort with absolute no experience? If you have any further advice on where I could potentially apply and get in that would be super helpful. Thanks.
    I would look into the year in industry scheme:

http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

As well as contacting local organisations to see if they can offer anything.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would most definetly choose to go straight into first year, it's just not worth wasting the extra year at all. This is especially true in this case as the two universities under consideration have similar reputations.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 27, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.