Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently, I am trying to make a decision on my offers and struggling on what to choose as my first choice on the offers. I got offered by university of Southampton and university of Surrey for an Electrical & Electronics Engineering course (EEE), however, I am in a dilemma because

University of Southampton offered me : Foundation year (year 0) and
    University of Surrey: (year 1)

My questions now are,
    1. Should I "waste" a year in foundation? Is it a waste?
    2. Is it worth it and why?

My pros and cons of foundation year in university of Southampton

Pros:
    - Able to work part-time (Experience)
    - More free time to spent on learning new things such as coding and further develop my skills of my hobbies (piano, guitar, basketball)
    - Able to explore more and learning about myself more on to what I like and not (self development)
    - better connection (because uni in Russell group)
    - more prestige in terms of engineering especially in EEE, hence, "better" diploma (don't really know if its true. Any Engineer graduates which can can answer this that would be helpful)
    - I like the optional and normal modules much more compare to university of Surrey's modules

Cons:
    - Money (extra year)
    - 90% of modules of foundation learnt in IB diploma (hence, won't be learning anything new)
    - potentially can be considered a "waste" where I could just go straight in 1st year in university of Surrey and graduate and then do the same thing as to what I want to do in foundation such (self development)(Experiences in work)(have time for learning new things and further improve on my hobbies)

ReputationRep:
    was going to ask this aswell got a foundation offer at southampton for computer science and year 1 offer at lancaster and i dont know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19-99)
    was going to ask this aswell got a foundation offer at southampton for computer science and year 1 offer at lancaster and i dont know what to do
    Yeah man such a hard decision to make, I have been internally debating this for 4 months and still do not know what's a better choice. Initially, I chose Southampton because the modules that they offer fits me more but then everybody told me it would be a waste of a year and could be spending that year Working and getting Engineering experience then I switched back to taking Surrey as a first choice as it was near London where my brother is currently living and Surrey's campus just looks awesome. Now I am back to square 1 and stuck on what decision to make.

I guess my need is an answer if it is worth it to get a degree from Southampton for the extra year or spent that year after graduating in Surrey working in an Engineering industry. What's your opinion on this?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Chickwn)
    Yeah man such a hard decision to make, I have been internally debating this for 4 months and still do not know what's a better choice. Initially, I chose Southampton because the modules that they offers fits me more but then everybody told me it would be a waste of a year and could be spending that year Working and getting Engineering experience then I switched back to taking Surrey as a first choice as it was near London where my brother is currently living and Surrey's campus just looks awesome. Now I am back to square 1 and stuck on what decision to make.

I guess my need is an answer if it is worth it to get a degree from Southampton for the extra year or spent that year after graduating in Surrey working in an Engineering industry. What's your opinion on this?
    i know it's so hard to make a decision for yourself, cos i have offer from southampton as well. but from my perspective on your situation, getting into the industry as soon as you can is never a bad thing at all. Surrey is a really good uni regardless of it not having RG title. i think you should not go for foundation year, since you're given the opportunity to not to from Surrey. I also heard on a tsr post a while back that foundation year is quite tough and to go onto the mainstream course afterwards is hard cos u need to do really well in your 0 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i know it's so hard to make a decision for yourself, cos i have offer from southampton as well. but from my perspective on your situation, getting into the industry as soon as you can is never a bad thing at all. Surrey is a really good uni regardless of it not having RG title. i think you should not go for foundation year, since you're given the opportunity to not to from Surrey. I also heard on a tsr post a while back that foundation year is quite tough and to go onto the mainstream course afterwards is hard cos u need to do really well in your 0 year.
    Yeah thanks, I don't really think foundation year is that hard, I checked the modules and its aim and outcomes, most of it I have already been taught and learned, getting the grades won't be a problem for me but yeah that extra year probably wont be that good compare to actual skills that u can learn from being in the industry for that year would be super valuable.

BTW what course did u get an offer from Southampton?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Chickwn)
    Yeah thanks, I don't really think foundation year is that hard, I checked the modules and its aim and outcomes, most of it I have already been taught and learned, getting the grades won't be a problem for me but yeah that extra year probably wont be that good compare to actual skills that u can learn from being in the industry for that year would be super valuable.

BTW what course did u get an offer from Southampton?
    honestly agreed, i've applied for civil engineering. and heres the scenario, if i had a foundation year from soton but can start yr 1 at my other ''lower ranked'' choice at Swansea, i'd definitely would choose swansea. apart from getting industry experience quicker, i just cant imagine going to uni for longer than 3-4 years, it's a lot of commitment when you can do more in the industry itself.

From what i gathered on my offer holder day at bristol and cardiff (so it should apply to other unis too) engineering students spend a lot of time trying to make connections with industries that come in. if you've made that connection, you spend a lot of time back and forth the company and uni. Surreys got great connection, i dont think it's worth spending foundation yr just cos soton is a little higher in the league tables, cos after all, Arup, Atkins, or BAE system are all the same no matter what unis they approach. though if you really dislike the modules at surrey, then i guess soton might be more worth ur time, but engineering shud be very similar in these top unis at least, perhaps its just the few wording of the module units that dont sound appealing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    honestly agreed, i've applied for civil engineering. and heres the scenario, if i had a foundation year from soton but can start yr 1 at my other ''lower ranked'' choice at Swansea, i'd definitely would choose swansea. apart from getting industry experience quicker, i just cant imagine going to uni for longer than 3-4 years, it's a lot of commitment when you can do more in the industry itself.

From what i gathered on my offer holder day at bristol and cardiff (so it should apply to other unis too) engineering students spend a lot of time trying to make connections with industries that come in. if you've made that connection, you spend a lot of time back and forth the company and uni. Surreys got great connection, i dont think it's worth spending foundation yr just cos soton is a little higher in the league tables, cos after all, Arup, Atkins, or BAE system are all the same no matter what unis they approach. though if you really dislike the modules at surrey, then i guess soton might be more worth ur time, but engineering shud be very similar in these top unis at least, perhaps its just the few wording of the module units that dont sound appealing
    Yeah thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.