Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...P=share_btn_tw

Guardian article about the issue in Sheffield, where private contractors who the Labour council have signed a contract with have been felling large numbers of trees in the city, even trees that are perfectly healthy, and sparked local protest.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Glad to see people protesting this - hopefully it comes to something.

ReputationRep:
    Great Britain is extraordinarily beautiful. Please don't waste it.

ReputationRep:
    They have been felling trees which have grown to big, their roots break up the pavements causing people to trip and then they get law cases. Every tree being removed is being replaced with a more suitable tree with roots which grow downward not outwards. I’m not a labour supporter but there is nothing wrong with what they are doing here
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarlettcake)
    They have been felling trees which have grown to big, their roots break up the pavements causing people to trip and then they get law cases. Every tree being removed is being replaced with a more suitable tree with roots which grow downward not outwards. I’m not a labour supporter but there is nothing wrong with what they are doing here
    Most of the trees cut down appear to be healthy and not posing any risk from the reports I've seen.

All tree roots grow outwards instead of downwards, every tree species does it, unless there's some obscure tree species I haven't heard of that does it. The majority of the roots are spread outwards within a short depth.

And planting a sapling is not at all a suitable replacement for a mature tree and the benefits they bring, it's taken many of these trees a century to reach their current size. There's benefits for air quality and physical and mental health associated with urban trees.

It seems it's just laziness and convenience, these contractors would rather just clear everything because that's easier.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.