Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Two particles P and Q of mass 8kg and 2kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string. The particles are on a smooth horizontal plane. A horizontal force of magnitude F is applied to P in a direction away from Q and when the string is taut the particles move with acceleration 0.4ms^-2.

a) find the force F.
    I've found F it is 4.

b) Find the tension in the string.
    I've looked at the answer and get how it is 0.8, but isn't it entirely dependent on how you draw the diagram?
    I drew the diagram so that P is behind Q, with T acting in the direction of motion for particle P. However, the answer shows T to be acting in the opposite direction to motion for P.

So my answer would be T-4=8(0.4) which means T would be 7.2N.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't depend how you draw the diagram.

The tension is the only force acting to accelerate the 2nd particle so it's F=ma for that one.

(It's also tthe difference between the force you apply and the F=ma on the 1st one, since in that case it's acting to hold the particle back.)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dont know it)
    Two particles P and Q of mass 8kg and 2kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string. The particles are on a smooth horizontal plane. A horizontal force of magnitude F is applied to P in a direction away from Q and when the string is taut the particles move with acceleration 0.4ms^-2.

a) find the force F.
    I've found F it is 4.

b) Find the tension in the string.
    I've looked at the answer and get how it is 0.8, but isn't it entirely dependent on how you draw the diagram?
    I drew the diagram so that P is behind Q, with T acting in the direction of motion for particle P. However, the answer shows T to be acting in the opposite direction to motion for P.

So my answer would be T-4=8(0.4) which means T would be 7.2N.
    If a force is applied to P in a direction away from Q then the system must be accelerating in the direction Q -> P. Does this make sense? There are no other external forces so it's impossible for it to be accelerating the other way.

This means that for particle P, the force F must be larger than the tension so you have

F - T = ma

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're pulling P and Q is following along behind.

Your equation is correct - either that or F=ma for Q should give you the same value for T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    Yes, you're pulling P and Q is following along behind.

Your equation is correct - either that or F=ma for Q should give you the same value for T
    I think my issue is when it says 'P away from Q', what does this mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    You're trying to pull P away from Q, but since they are connected Q comes along behind.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dont know it)
    I think my issue is when it says 'P away from Q', what does this mean exactly?
    You can either pull P towards Q or away from Q e.g. if P and Q were like this

P ---------------- Q

Then pulling P away from Q means pulling P to the left since this is away from Q.

Or

Q ---------------- P

Pulling P away from Q would mean pulling P to the right.

If instead you pulled P towards Q then the string would become slack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    You can either pull P towards Q or away from Q e.g. if P and Q were like this

P ---------------- Q

Then pulling P away from Q means pulling P to the left since this is away from Q.

Or

Q ---------------- P

Pulling P away from Q would mean pulling P to the right.

If instead you pulled P towards Q then the string would become slack.
    Can't thank you enough!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.