Turn on thread page Beta

Made a driving mistake, now my confidence is shattered watch

ReputationRep:
    Ive been driving for 1 week now, I got my license over a year ago but only got a car recently.

I was driving on road near my house, at around 20mph and ahead was a zebra crossing.

On the other side of the road there was a car in front of the crossing so I couldn’t see any pedestrians coming from the right.
    I was just in front of the crossing when I saw the pedestrians around a quarter of the way across it.
    I didn’t stop and carried on, realising straight after that I made this silly mistake, and I could see the pedestrians looking at me shocked from my rear view mirror.
    Now I’m too scared to drive , especially on that same road that I have to use to get to most of my destinations.

I also don’t know if I’ll be in trouble if someone there took my number plate and reported me..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chemikal123)
    Ive been driving for 1 week now, I got my license over a year ago but only got a car recently.

I was driving on road near my house, at around 20mph and ahead was a zebra crossing.

On the other side of the road there was a car in front of the crossing so I couldn’t see any pedestrians coming from the right.
    I was just in front of the crossing when I saw the pedestrians around a quarter of the way across it.
    I didn’t stop and carried on, realising straight after that I made this silly mistake, and I could see the pedestrians looking at me shocked from my rear view mirror.
    Now I’m too scared to drive , especially on that same road that I have to use to get to most of my destinations.

I also don’t know if I’ll be in trouble if someone there took my number plate and reported me..
    If you couldn't see, you should've slowed down really - just incase there were pedestrians (which there were).

Don't let this deter you from driving, simply take this as a learning curve. We're humans and make mistakes, just learn from those mistakes.

ReputationRep:

You don't start properly learning until after you have passed and are on the road. R drivers will make mistakes, it's inevitable so don't let one silly mistake stop you from driving. When i first went out after passing i stalled so many times at one pair of traffic lights that the lights changed colour 3 times! most embarrassing moment of my life but i didn't let it stop me from carrying on.
    You will not get in trouble, the people were probably just shocked in the moment until they seen the R plates so don't worry.
    Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Brush it off and don't worry about it. People make mistakes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't worry, first year is the hardest, after like 4 months I'm still making stupid mistakes, some of which are just begging for me to crash. But you learn from it.

ReputationRep:
    That’s the difference between driving and learning I guess.

If you’re learning, your instructor would have anticipated the potential hazard and asked you to slow down on the approach - when you’ve no one next to you, you can’t rely on that anymore.

Most important thing is that no one was hurt, just learn from it and carry on.

ReputationRep:

I did this exact same mistake in my second week of driving. My college is in the same road as a high school and two primary schools and I finished early and so was driving out at 3pm. What I did not realise is that the kids just walk out onto the zebra crossing without pausing to give drivers a chance to see them and I drove over it with these two high school kids having begun to cross.

Take it as a learning curve. You did not hit anyone and so you are unlikely to have been reported. Just be a bit more wary on approach to them in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I was on a motorbike for 6 months, I literally had the same experience. I look down at my leg for some reason for 2 secs and when I looked up there was all of a sudden a line of cars stopped at a zebra crossing, still going at about 20 mph and 10m from the car in front I had to swerve round and nearly went into the zebra crossing where a little kid was just about to cross.

Unfortunately these things do happen and everyone makes mistakes. I think you not slowing down because you couldn't see isn't really out of the norm.

I'd only take positives from it because you'll be much more wary next time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and your advice .
    I haven’t driven since because of heavy snowfall but will hopefully as soon as the conditions get better.

ReputationRep:
    it happens, i've done it countless times. just forget about it and move on.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.