Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to find any work experience related to biology. I've tried hospitals, labs and my doctors however they either haven't replied or they can't do it. Does anyone have any advice or ideas? My mum works in a nursery, so I could always go there, however I'm struggling to see how that would fit into biology and I would like to go into research. Thanks for your help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by honeybee1)
    I'm really struggling to find any work experience related to biology. I've tried hospitals, labs and my doctors however they either haven't replied or they can't do it. Does anyone have any advice or ideas? My mum works in a nursery, so I could always go there, however I'm struggling to see how that would fit into biology and I would like to go into research. Thanks for your help
    How old are you? Unless you're in the sixth form, it's unfortunately fairly unlikely that you're going to get some particularly inspiring research-related work experience. If you are in the sixth form, it's still not going to be easy, but you could try emailing any local universities to see if you could shadow somebody or look at something like the Nuffield Research Placements.

It's important to understand that, unless you're intending to do a vocational degree like Medicine, you are not expected to have work experience for university. Universities know that getting lab experience is extremely difficult, so there's no expectation or requirement for you to have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    How old are you? Unless you're in the sixth form, it's unfortunately fairly unlikely that you're going to get some particularly inspiring research-related work experience. If you are in the sixth form, it's still not going to be easy, but you could try emailing any local universities to see if you could shadow somebody or look at something like the Nuffield Research Placements.

It's important to understand that, unless you're intending to do a vocational degree like Medicine, you are not expected to have work experience for university. Universities know that getting lab experience is extremely difficult, so there's no expectation or requirement for you to have it.
    I'm in sixth form, year 12. I have tried emailing a few labs at a uni near me & I only heard back from 1 who said it wasn't possible to until next year I will look into Nuffield research placements though, what exactly is it?
    Ahh thank goodness! I'm really struggling I have even asked my biology teacher however she hasn't got back to me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm in sixth form, year 12. I have tried emailing a few labs at a uni near me & I only heard back from 1 who said it wasn't possible to until next year I will look into Nuffield research placements though, what exactly is it?
    Ahh thank goodness! I'm really struggling I have even asked my biology teacher however she hasn't got back to me
    You'll have to check that the deadline for Nuffield hasn't passed (it might have, I'm not sure) but it's basically a research placement during the summer where you undertake a research project that hopefully aligns to your interests. It looks great, although I can't tell you about my personal experience because they rejected me :lol:

Yeah, please don't stress about trying to get work experience. I managed to get a week at UCL and it was good fun, but I can't say it impacted my university application in any meaningful way (I don't think I even put it in my personal statement to be honest). If you can arrange something then I think it's worth doing for your own personal benefit (and enjoyment) but it really doesn't matter if you can't!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Have a look at this:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4549382

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    You'll have to check that the deadline for Nuffield hasn't passed (it might have, I'm not sure) but it's basically a research placement during the summer where you undertake a research project that hopefully aligns to your interests. It looks great, although I can't tell you about my personal experience because they rejected me :lol:

Yeah, please don't stress about trying to get work experience. I managed to get a week at UCL and it was good fun, but I can't say it impacted my university application in any meaningful way (I don't think I even put it in my personal statement to be honest). If you can arrange something then I think it's worth doing for your own personal benefit (and enjoyment) but it really doesn't matter if you can't!
    Ok I will do, thanks. Thats so annoying, but at least oyu can say you tried and you got a work experience placement at UCL!
    I guess unis understand that it is really difficult to find work experience, so they can't expect it. Thanks for your help though.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.