Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are my GCSEs good enough for Dentistry? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

To add to the seemingly never-ending similar questions - honest feedback is much appreciated. I know that UKCAT/BMAT as well as predicted A-Level grades and personal statements etc. are arguably more important, but I just wanted to know how relatively good/bad/mediocre my GCSE grades are, as I don't know that many people applying for Dentistry, a course I am seriously considering.

Maths - Grade 8 (A*)
    English Language - Grade 7 (A)
    English Literature - Grade 7 (A)
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B
    History - B
    French - A
    Classical Civilisation - A*
    Music - A*
    R.S. - A* (taken a few years early)

So overall, 5A*s, 4As and 2Bs. I know I'm not the strongest candidate, but realistically, what are my chances based off purely these grades. Overall, I have good work experience at a hospital (and will soon do it at a dental practise if I continue considering Dentistry), and have positions of authority in the school. I have a healthy amount of extracurriculars. Also, how important is demonstrating manual dexterity in your statement. I am a musician and play the piano, but wasn't sure how much weight this held in demonstrating these skills.

Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Yes they’re good! If you’re still worried though, try doing some things with the public like helping out at s homeless shelter as you will be with patients!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As you correctly stated, your GCSEs aren't crucial to succeeding in a career, and they aren't the make or break in your life. You passed every GCSE, with mostly A*'s and A's. You got an A* in Biology, an A in Chemistry, and an 8 in Maths, arguably the most important subjects for Dentistry, showing that you are a good candidate. You are in a fantastic position for Dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koalifications)
    As you correctly stated, your GCSEs aren't crucial to succeeding in a career, and they aren't the make or break in your life. You passed every GCSE, with mostly A*'s and A's. You got an A* in Biology, an A in Chemistry, and an 8 in Maths, arguably the most important subjects for Dentistry, showing that you are a good candidate. You are in a fantastic position for Dentistry.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxnna01)
    Yes they’re good! If you’re still worried though, try doing some things with the public like helping out at s homeless shelter as you will be with patients!

ok thanks for the feedback

ReputationRep:
    just so you know you can look at gcse entry requirements on the universities websites. the answer to the title is yes

ReputationRep:
    woow, them are really goood grades, how did u revise for history, maths and english?? i know this is not relating to the question uve asked but pls help me as im doing my gcse this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    just so you know you can look at gcse entry requirements on the universities websites. the answer to the title is yes
    I’ve researched universities and I know I qualify but I am also aware that even if you qualify, there’s a lot of competition and you are not guarenteed an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariax__x)
    woow, them are really goood grades, how did u revise for history, maths and english?? i know this is not relating to the question uve asked but pls help me as im doing my gcse this year
    No problem! For maths I just made sure I knew the content. Once I had gone over the textbook/specification , I did LOADS of past papers - they help build your exam techniques. For english, I did lots of essay plans - I didnt really revise that much for English Language; just practise questions. I put a lot of effort into History, but, as I previosuly said, lots of essay plans and mindmaps. I was a little annoyed thar I was a couple of marks away from an A, so make sure you cover all the topics. But remember everyone learns differently; I prefer writing things out to properly absorb the content, but I have a friend who never makes notes, and she got 9A*s! Good luck, and remember at the end of GCSEs theres a long summer to enjoy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.