quirkyqwerty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

To add to the seemingly never-ending similar questions - honest feedback is much appreciated. I know that UKCAT/BMAT as well as predicted A-Level grades and personal statements etc. are arguably more important, but I just wanted to know how relatively good/bad/mediocre my GCSE grades are, as I don't know that many people applying for Dentistry, a course I am seriously considering.

Maths - Grade 8 (A*)
English Language - Grade 7 (A)
English Literature - Grade 7 (A)
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - B
History - B
French - A
Classical Civilisation - A*
Music - A*
R.S. - A* (taken a few years early)

So overall, 5A*s, 4As and 2Bs. I know I'm not the strongest candidate, but realistically, what are my chances based off purely these grades. Overall, I have good work experience at a hospital (and will soon do it at a dental practise if I continue considering Dentistry), and have positions of authority in the school. I have a healthy amount of extracurriculars. Also, how important is demonstrating manual dexterity in your statement. I am a musician and play the piano, but wasn't sure how much weight this held in demonstrating these skills.

Much appreciated
jxnna01
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes they’re good! If you’re still worried though, try doing some things with the public like helping out at s homeless shelter as you will be with patients!
Koalifications
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As you correctly stated, your GCSEs aren't crucial to succeeding in a career, and they aren't the make or break in your life. You passed every GCSE, with mostly A*'s and A's. You got an A* in Biology, an A in Chemistry, and an 8 in Maths, arguably the most important subjects for Dentistry, showing that you are a good candidate. You are in a fantastic position for Dentistry.
quirkyqwerty
Rep:
?
(Original post by Koalifications)
As you correctly stated, your GCSEs aren't crucial to succeeding in a career, and they aren't the make or break in your life. You passed every GCSE, with mostly A*'s and A's. You got an A* in Biology, an A in Chemistry, and an 8 in Maths, arguably the most important subjects for Dentistry, showing that you are a good candidate. You are in a fantastic position for Dentistry.
Thanks
quirkyqwerty
Rep:
?
(Original post by jxnna01)
Yes they’re good! If you’re still worried though, try doing some things with the public like helping out at s homeless shelter as you will be with patients!

ok thanks for the feedback
SalazarSlytherin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just so you know you can look at gcse entry requirements on the universities websites. the answer to the title is yes
mariax__x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
woow, them are really goood grades, how did u revise for history, maths and english?? i know this is not relating to the question uve asked but pls help me as im doing my gcse this year
quirkyqwerty
Rep:
?
(Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
just so you know you can look at gcse entry requirements on the universities websites. the answer to the title is yes
I’ve researched universities and I know I qualify but I am also aware that even if you qualify, there’s a lot of competition and you are not guarenteed an offer
quirkyqwerty
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariax__x)
woow, them are really goood grades, how did u revise for history, maths and english?? i know this is not relating to the question uve asked but pls help me as im doing my gcse this year
No problem! For maths I just made sure I knew the content. Once I had gone over the textbook/specification , I did LOADS of past papers - they help build your exam techniques. For english, I did lots of essay plans - I didnt really revise that much for English Language; just practise questions. I put a lot of effort into History, but, as I previosuly said, lots of essay plans and mindmaps. I was a little annoyed thar I was a couple of marks away from an A, so make sure you cover all the topics. But remember everyone learns differently; I prefer writing things out to properly absorb the content, but I have a friend who never makes notes, and she got 9A*s! Good luck, and remember at the end of GCSEs theres a long summer to enjoy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed