Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i cannot find anything about the name change can anyone help this is the question... Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields

ReputationRep:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields & May. However, Ciara never forgot her humble roots nor her time as one of the first graduating law students at the University of Huddsford which was established in 1992. She regularly visited the university and assisted in the provision of funded work placements to its students. Grateful for all her help and assistance, and in recognition of all her achievements and distinguished career, the university provided an academic prize for the student with the highest mark in equity and trusts (The O’Connor prize). The university has however recently been through some difficult times and three years ago, it merged with the University of Bradfield to become the University of West Yorkshire.

Last year Ciara made a new will leaving specific gifts to family and friends. She also left the residue of the estate on trust to her named executors to apply “in their absolute discretion for the benefit of the graduates of the University of Huddsford and their relatives living at the time of my death”.

Ciara’s health condition deteriorated badly six months ago and she sadly died last week. The will is valid but the executors named on the will have contacted you for your advice on the legal position relating to the residue of Ciara’s estate.

Discussing and critically analysing the legal position and academic opinion surrounding this area of law, please advise the executors of the position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    What?
    i cant find anything relevant to the uni name change...

Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields & May. However, Ciara never forgot her humble roots nor her time as one of the first graduating law students at the University of Huddsford which was established in 1992. She regularly visited the university and assisted in the provision of funded work placements to its students. Grateful for all her help and assistance, and in recognition of all her achievements and distinguished career, the university provided an academic prize for the student with the highest mark in equity and trusts (The O’Connor prize). The university has however recently been through some difficult times and three years ago, it merged with the University of Bradfield to become the University of West Yorkshire.

Last year Ciara made a new will leaving specific gifts to family and friends. She also left the residue of the estate on trust to her named executors to apply “in their absolute discretion for the benefit of the graduates of the University of Huddsford and their relatives living at the time of my death”.

Ciara’s health condition deteriorated badly six months ago and she sadly died last week. The will is valid but the executors named on the will have contacted you for your advice on the legal position relating to the residue of Ciara’s estate.

Discussing and critically analysing the legal position and academic opinion surrounding this area of law, please advise the executors of the position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l.hutch.p)
    i cannot find anything about the name change can anyone help this is the question... Ciara O’Connor retired two years ago, for health reasons, following a glittering career as a trusts solicitor and equity partner at the magic circle firm, Clifford Freshfields
    That's such a crap fake name for a law firm in a problem question. I swear to god that they could have thought of a better one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    That's such a crap fake name for a law firm in a problem question. I swear to god that they could have thought of a better one.
    When stuff like this comes up, I wonder why I try to answer PQs on this website. The level of stupidity is unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    ? any help please?

ReputationRep:
    ? any help please?
    "Clifford Freshfields" is a terrible name to come up with. It doesn't roll off the tongue, and it consists of putting two first names together. Clifford & Overy, or Clifford and May, would have been much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    "Clifford Freshfields" is a terrible name to come up with. It doesn't roll off the tongue, and it consists of putting two first names together. Clifford & Overy, or Clifford and May, would have been much nicer.
    again this is no help??

ReputationRep:
    again this is no help??
    The name does not mean anything. It is a fake name that anyone half familiar with legal careers would realise is a joining of Clifford Chance and Freshfields. Both very famous individual firms.

As for your PQ, read your textbooks. Form a basic understanding of the law, as you're paying for a degree which expects you to have a basic understanding of the law and expects you to be able to apply your basic understanding of the law to basic scenarios. It is no use at all anyone on here trying to answer your PQ for you. It is yours; do it yourself. If you have any complex areas you should like to talk to other law students about, then we are here to do that. However, "here's my PQ scenario, what do I do" hardly qualifies as a dialogue.

ReputationRep:
    The name does not mean anything. It is a fake name that anyone half familiar with legal careers would realise is a joining of Clifford Chance and Freshfields. Both very famous individual firms.

As for your PQ, read your textbooks. Form a basic understanding of the law, as you're paying for a degree which expects you to have a basic understanding of the law and expects you to be able to apply your basic understanding of the law to basic scenarios. It is no use at all anyone on here trying to answer your PQ for you. It is yours; do it yourself. If you have any complex areas you should like to talk to other law students about, then we are here to do that. However, "here's my PQ scenario, what do I do" hardly qualifies as a dialogue.
    im talking about the uni changing names not the fake law firm....

ReputationRep:
    im talking about the uni changing names not the fake law firm....
    You mentioned in OP the fake law firm and there being a name change. We were supposed to know you were in fact talking about the uni's name change which you mentioned in post 3. Sorry, you didn't mention; you dumped it in post 3 and expected us to make sense of it.

Again, the advice is deal with your PQ yourself until you need dialogue with other law students on here. When you're able to have a dialogue, you should return. But this is all very basic stuff which can solved by you with very basic reading. Very basic reading you're at uni to do.

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned in OP the fake law firm and there being a name change. We were supposed to know you were in fact talking about the uni's name change which you mentioned in post 3. Sorry, you didn't mention; you dumped it in post 3 and expected us to make sense of it.

Again, the advice is deal with your PQ yourself until you need dialogue with other law students on here. When you're able to have a dialogue, you should return. But this is all very basic stuff which can solved by you with very basic reading. Very basic reading you're at uni to do.
    i have only just joined this site and didnt really know how to work it
    i have done reading, this is why ive posted the question..... because i cannot find anything

ReputationRep:
    Well I know one that had the word salmon in it...

They were giving people pink squishy fish...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.