Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buser132)
    I got UUU at A level the first time round, and then did a McDonalds apprenticeship for 15 months, but ended with no qualification. I'm retaking A levels this year, but will probably get UUU-EEE. My GCSE grades are all A*-B. I'm 20 years old. I've been rejected from all choices so far, so now I'm looking at foundation degrees through UCAS Extra/Clearing.

I'm looking to do microbiology.
    Do you think University is the best idea?

What makes you think you'll be successful at a higher level of study given your A level performance?

Not trying to be condescending, it's an investment after all with far greater risks, have you not considered looking into other apprenticeships?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have looked into apprenticeships in Biology, and have seen some Laboratory Technician roles, but I only found a few that only require GCSE's, but they're in high-rent areas, so I'd be living on £600 per month, paying like £450 in rent (out of the £600) for a room...
    Hmm, that's not great is it. If it's something you truly want to do and think that you're capable of seeing it through then go for it. I know people who didn't do well at A level but then went onto to blossom through their degree course but this is rare. Do you know what has prevented you from performing at A level? Best bet is to either do a foundation year or an access course both of which cover more content at a faster pace so keep this in mind. With UUU I think you'll be at a push though someone at my sixth form got in with EE so I'm sure you'd get into somewhere with EEE.

ReputationRep:
    If you’re struggling to pass your alevels them I’m afraid that doing a degree is a non started and you’re going to strugglo to find an university that will take you with failed a-levels twice. Have you thought about an apprentice? Or if you’re still desperate to go to university, an access degree?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are higher level apprenticeships that may be appropriate - however these may be further afield from where you are now.

Regarding degree prospects, I would not recommend pursuing that until you identify why you have struggled so much in your A-levels. In general degrees are more exam based (while there is often a good deal of laboratory work and similar in STEM courses, this usually makes up a small amount of the summative assessment and is largely for the purpose of formative assessment and reinforcing the concepts encountered in lectures), and there is more work overall, at a more difficult level, and with less opportunity for individual instruction.

If you go into this realm without understanding why it was you did poorly, it's most likely that you will simply have the same experiences again - getting poor results, and potentially even failing the course (or more likely, not being able to progress in the course and having to withdraw from the university) This is at the additional cost of in the first instance some of your SFE funding entitlement (so if you did later identify the root causes of your difficulties and wished to go to uni, you may be unable to receive funding for the entire course and have to self fund some of it - a very expensive prospect) as well as long term the student loan debt.

It may be worth considering simply working for a time, making ends meet as needs must, and spend some time when you are free reflecting on your experiences with A-levels. You can hopefully identify why you may have received those grades and consider what you may be able to do in the future, in any academic environment, to avoid repeating any actions leading to these outcomes. This ultimately would (hopefully) allow you to fulfill your academic aspirations, rather than potentially simply repeat the same process and poor outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what university the person with EE applied to? I'm interested in looking at the same one.

In addition to my previous reply, I decided to call up the apprenticeship provider for one of the vacancies I saw, and they said I would be ineligible for government funding, since I'd be doing an apprenticeship at the same Level (i.e. Level 3) that I previously took, and it has to be at a different level for the government to fund a 2nd apprenticeship, so I would be ineligible to do another apprenticeship again. Will have a further look at access courses.

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...ears-6200-b909
    You'd have enough points and it was Wolverhampton but I'd avoid this at all costs from what I've heard about it. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, really try to figure out what happened at A level as you don't want the past to repeat itself.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.