Turn on thread page Beta

Parents don't approve of studying abroad. Advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    My sister called me last night and said that our parents don’t agree with her studying abroad. She wants to come and study Foreign Literature here in St. Petersburg. I feel bad for her because she really cried over the phone saying she really wants to study abroad for college.

We’re not necessarily rich but we’re also not dirt poor. My sister has her college fund set and I have a job her in St. Petersburg. I have a house and a wife that I met on a foreign dating event. Basically, I’m established here already and if she comes here, it won’t be a problem. The only reason why our parents don’t want her here is that it’s too far. They said one child on another continent is enough already.

How do I help my sister? Do I side with my parents and just convince my sister to study in the states? I need legit advice. Will really appreciate your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbrother2)
    My sister called me last night and said that our parents don’t agree with her studying abroad. She wants to come and study Foreign Literature here in St. Petersburg. I feel bad for her because she really cried over the phone saying she really wants to study abroad for college.

We’re not necessarily rich but we’re also not dirt poor. My sister has her college fund set and I have a job her in St. Petersburg. I have a house and a wife that I met on a foreign dating event. Basically, I’m established here already and if she comes here, it won’t be a problem. The only reason why our parents don’t want her here is that it’s too far. They said one child on another continent is enough already.

How do I help my sister? Do I side with my parents and just convince my sister to study in the states? I need legit advice. Will really appreciate your help.
    Maybe sit them down and actually talk it out. They’re probably scared about the actual studying bit and how stressful academic life can be let alone moving to another continent or maybe that they’ll have lost two kids. Sit them down and explain to them the benefits. Let your sister explain why she wants to study abroad. What will she gain and benefit from it. If they had no issues with you moving why should your little sister be different.

You should talk to them to. Reassure both your parents your there for your sister. Your ready to be there for her financially and emotionally if needs be. That you’ll support her. Let them know they can come down whenever they want. Maybe talk about having some kind of visitation schedule again for reassurance. I wouldn’t just side with your parents just for the sake of it. But you don’t want to straight out disrespect them. These things may take some time and it’s all about convincing. Is your parents relocating there a possibility? If not explain to your sister that she really needs to have a heartfelt talk with them. Moaning isn’t going to do anything and will only antagonise the situation further. Again if possible you should see them face to face and talk it out. Maybe even show them of the area your sister will stay at. Or the type of education level she will have and the benefits it will come from it ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.