Turn on thread page Beta

Mum keeps pressing me about getting married - I AM SINGLE. watch

Hi.

So - let us first realise that this is nothing forced... my parents would never wish for me to do something without me actually willing to. It's more like 'well, you can meet him and see if you like him or no, you can always so no'.

I finish uni this semester - if I get through the disso alive - and she's constantly pressing about marriage. Conveniently, so is my aunt. Cousins of mines have had arranged marriages and so forth but I am in no way prepared marriage nor do I want to at this stage in life.

My mum (and now dad) are constantly asking if I am interested in someone or if I would like them to introduce someone to me (they have a doctor friend in mind) and I keep saying no.

'But you will have to at some point and you have finished education' blah blah.

I am an Asian. I beg that an Asian offers advice ... non-Asians can too but realise that I am in a very different culture to you so some things will not be reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    I think the key is in their reasoning
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But you will have to at some point
    There's no statement as to when the point actually is, 'some point' is actually very open ended. Could you not just ask them why they're in such a rush? There's no need for a rush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am an Asian. I beg that an Asian offers advice ... non-Asians can too but realise that I am in a very different culture to you so some things will not be reasonable.
    Mannn, haha I'd get your reason. It's either 'report them to the police' or 'move out' like whaaaaaat alright helll nahh. Oh btw I'm asian- proud to say I'm now eligible to comment hahah

I'd say best thing is sit both ur parents down and say in the kindest way you will get married one day, with their decision. You'll be happy with their decision, cos parents want best... blah. Sweeten them up. But point is make them feel they're in control- given the circumstances of getting outta uni soon, its not the best timing blah blah..

That'll sweet them up for sure- as long as they feel like they have the big say in it, theyll be fine with it because they know ur happy with whatever they say but its just the timing isnt really good.

Then again, each to their own- my parents would be probs say it a lot but once I let them know the sit- theyll be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.