Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am getting kinda stressed, I would like to apply for gem later this year (starting of my 3rd year). I am confident I can do well on the gamsat and so my initial two choices I am looking at are Nottingham and Swansea. Still debating on the next two... I just turned 23, worked in warehouses due to leaving college due to severe illness which just left me unable to study and so I don't have A - levels I have an Access to HE qual. So this has slightly limited me in the places I can apply to but I'm still hopeful.

Currently on target for a 1:1 (averaging around 68/69% on my degree atm.)

All that aside I really haven't gathered any work experience at this point (I have unofficial experience off the books but this won't count). Is it pointless for me to apply later this year and instead to wait until after I graduate?

I feel like I could accumulate a lot of experience over the summer (a week here with a cardiologist I know, some GP experience, care, first aid etc). But I feel like it will sort of be looked at like ...okay you've got quite a bit of exp, but basically haven't shown any long term commitment to this apart from what you've done over one summer and my application will pretty much fail at that point (even though the reason I left work and pursued this Biomedical science degree was because I knew it was my route into medicine.)

Does my thought process make sense? Should I wait until after graduation? Is there anything you can suggest that would help me fix this?

I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graduat33ntrym3d)
    Hello

I am getting kinda stressed, I would like to apply for gem later this year (starting of my 3rd year). I am confident I can do well on the gamsat and so my initial two choices I am looking at are Nottingham and Swansea. Still debating on the next two... I just turned 23, worked in warehouses due to leaving college due to severe illness which just left me unable to study and so I don't have A - levels I have an Access to HE qual. So this has slightly limited me in the places I can apply to but I'm still hopeful.

Currently on target for a 1:1 (averaging around 68/69% on my degree atm.)

All that aside I really haven't gathered any work experience at this point (I have unofficial experience off the books but this won't count). Is it pointless for me to apply later this year and instead to wait until after I graduate?

I feel like I could accumulate a lot of experience over the summer (a week here with a cardiologist I know, some GP experience, care, first aid etc). But I feel like it will sort of be looked at like ...okay you've got quite a bit of exp, but basically haven't shown any long term commitment to this apart from what you've done over one summer and my application will pretty much fail at that point (even though the reason I left work and pursued this Biomedical science degree was because I knew it was my route into medicine.)

Does my thought process make sense? Should I wait until after graduation? Is there anything you can suggest that would help me fix this?

I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks!!
    You still have quite a lot of time to organise things, especially if you start looking and applying ASAP (these things typically take a lot of time). You need to remember that it isn't how much you do, but how you reflect in it. In your PS you probably won't be writing about how much time exactly you've actually spent volunteering, just what you've gained from it. Also, by the time you get to your interviews (which is sometimes when some medical schools start asking for how many hours you've actually volunteered) you'll have had plenty of time for any long term voluntary work/work experience.

Regardless, if you're in the position to do so in terms of the rest of your application, I would apply anyway. Statistically speaking you're likely to get four rejections anyway, but if anything, you'll have the advantage of knowing what to expect the next time round. And if you get an offer, even better!

tl;dr: It's quality, not quantity. Start applying to things now and make a diary writing down everything that can be used for reflection.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    I'd thoroughly recommend getting some kind of care job over the summer while you have time to do training and get some hours down. There's only so much you can learn from shadowing, and getting some hands on experience is a) what some of the universities specifically want e.g. check out the requirements for Warwick, which are more specific than the other unis and b) will give you the kinds of examples to draw upon and reflect on at interview that medical schools want, and c) will help you learn a lot about working in healthcare and whether it's what you want to do.

Try looking for a care assistant job either in the NHS (usually you need experience but sometimes they are willing to train you) or maybe in a care home (they are always desperate for staff and more willing to take inexperienced people).

You'll also get a bit of cash which will come in handy for applying to medicine - GAMSAT entry fees, buying practice materials, interview books, Medify subscriptions, UCAS fees, cost of travel / accommodation to interview.... These things all make applying to medicine cost a fair bit as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.