Turn on thread page Beta

Studies say that people see you less attractive as you see yourself watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe this? Why is this? Does that mean I'm ****ed?

I rate myself 0/10 so by your logic others would rate me in the negative numbers :cry:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think this thing is actually true, because how do you even measure something like that, a lot of psychological things would come into play anyway like personal preference, society standards of beauty in different places of the world and our brains themselves do weird things like find people who smell like our relatives less attractive to make sure we widen the gene pool.

One thing that really stand out to me when I think about this idea that people find us less attractive then we find ourselves is that we only see ourselves as a reflected image most of the time, in mirrors and photos the image tends to be flipped and sometimes when it isn't it's weirdly jarring to see yourself like that,
    And when we look at ourself we tend to see minor details rather then the whole of our faces like other people do, if you get fixated that your nose is big chances are when you look at yourself that's all you see whereas your friends and family don't fixate on that and see your face as a whole.

And anyway there's all sorts of weird theory's out there I could create a theory, like that girls will always put other girls down to try to make them feel better about themselves, and that's it's a weird biology mating thing, the point is nearly anyone can make a theory and skewer the result to prove it, it's really not hard look at the whole vaccines causing autism scandal, that was also untrue.
    Honestly girls can be nasty but they can also be really lovely to people.

I don't think people see us as being less attractive then we see ourself I think it's more likely that people don't always see themselves as they really look as a whole and other peoples idea of beauty is subject to themselves anyway.

So try not to worry about stuff like this,
    Chances are even if you think you look horrible, most people wouldn't notice and when your family/friends/partner tell you that you look beautiful they really mean it

ReputationRep:
    yes people generally overrate themselves

studies have shown that generally black women overate themselves the most, followed by black men, followed by white men, followed by white women ...then east asian people the least [can't remember where south asian came]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    yes people generally overrate themselves

studies have shown that generally black women overate themselves the most, followed by black men, followed by white men, followed by white women ...then east asian people the least [can't remember where south asian came]
    That's weird because I tend to think I have a symmetrical face but I'm ugly because I don't fit the white standard of beauty. Most black women think that.
    Where is this study? Can you post a link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnAverageMind)
    That's weird because I tend to think I have a symmetrical face but I'm ugly because I don't fit the white standard of beauty. Most black women think that.
    Where is this study? Can you post a link?

Sorry, I cannot find the study in question, I came across it quite some time ago and just sorta remembered what was said

after doing a quick google search all I can find is this

http://simonedigital.com/study-finds...ent-than-most/

[which was not study I viewed, the study I viewed had charts..]

and I disagree where you say most black women think they are ugly, i've always heard the opposite from black women with phrases such as "the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice" being used a lot, and "caucasian women want to look like us, look how they inject their lips and pay to tan their skin".....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.