Turn on thread page Beta

Even being Pro-Trump didn't lose my as many friends as being Pro-Brexit did watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    If the Spectator puts up with Rod Liddle, Delingpole is in no danger.
    ah i'd almost forgotten that disgraceful waste of sperm. With him in mind i believe the Congolese pioneered a most suitable punishment in 'necklacing'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    ah i'd almost forgotten that disgraceful waste of sperm. With him in mind i believe the Congolese pioneered a most suitable punishment in 'necklacing'.
    Thing is, Liddle can be very perceptive. It's pretty obvious he's just got so pissed off being told that fairly mainstream views are offensive that at some point he decided to swathe his whole argument in deliberately offensive language, just so there can be no confusion. But as fun as it is watching him tell liberal sensitivities to **** off, he has sort of left the field of sensible argument.

I also think he's ruined his chances of sitting on any educational quangos.

ReputationRep:
    That's because millenials are used to being spoon fed there beans and are worried life may get a little bit harder. Just tell them to grow some *******s.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with this?

Sure, polarization is bad. But you just have to show people the respect and listen, don't silence and abuse. But you don't have to be their friend.

Would you be friends with someone who thought it's ok to beat animals? Surely not. Now next think bout the next not quite as bad opinion and if you still want to be friends with them. If voting Brexit is sufficiently bad in people's eyes...mind you, this isn't just a political issue either, the entire debate was underlined with philosophical and moral issues.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yudothis)
    What's wrong with this?

Sure, polarization is bad. But you just have to show people the respect and listen, don't silence and abuse. But you don't have to be their friend.

Would you be friends with someone who thought it's ok to beat animals? Surely not. Now next think bout the next not quite as bad opinion and if you still want to be friends with them. If voting Brexit is sufficiently bad in people's eyes...mind you, this isn't just a political issue either, the entire debate was underlined with philosophical and moral issues.
    In fairness that is all Brexiteers do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    you have to ignore all facts and place your trust in a completely unreasoned pile of poo. Viola! You are thus reborn as a Trumpista and science-denier.
    Brexit voters are supposedly the ignorant ones but posts like this show that Remain voters clearly can be too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    In fairness that is all Brexiteers do...
    In fairness that is all that the regressive left does, too...

I have started following more right leaning people/media. I follow this woman on twitter who I'd have called a nutjob not a year ago because of her pro-god anti-abortion pro-gun ideas, but certain other issues i wholly agree with her.

ReputationRep:
    The EU has transcended politics and become religion. There's no other explanation for the weird epiphany that millions of people seem to have undergone a couple of years ago from being completely indifferent about the EU, to the EU becoming central to the human condition and leaving the EU is somehow an existential crisis.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yudothis)
    In fairness that is all that the regressive left does, too...

I have started following more right leaning people/media. I follow this woman on twitter who I'd have called a nutjob not a year ago because of her pro-god anti-abortion pro-gun ideas, but certain other issues i wholly agree with her.
    What exactly is this regressive left? I've only ever heard it mentioned by a terrorist that nawaz fellow..
    But any way why are the regressive left insulting themselves over brexit?

Might one ask who this woman is? It's not Hopkins is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    What exactly is this regressive left? I've only ever heard it mentioned by a terrorist that nawaz fellow..
    But any way why are the regressive left insulting themselves over brexit?

Might one ask who this woman is? It's not Hopkins is it?
    It's the left that applies authoritarian measures in the name of "progress". Think no-platforming, labeling others who don't agree as -ist and -phobic. Did I say over Brexit? I didn't mean Brexit specifically, apologies if the wording was poor. I meant the trans issue. It's trans activists against mostly women's rights activists (I shan't use feminist because 3rd wave or libfems are polar opposites to 2nd wave or radfems so really it's a term with sadly ambiguous meaning these days) who are, generalizing here, typically left. Hence also the hashtag #labourlosingwomen. One woman tweeted recently "I never had Tories send me rape and death threats". Which is what a very vocal part of this nonsense movement does.

She is American, that's about as much I know. I don't really want to name her handle as I want to keep my Twitter as anon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    The EU has transcended politics and become religion. There's no other explanation for the weird epiphany that millions of people seem to have undergone a couple of years ago from being completely indifferent about the EU, to the EU becoming central to the human condition and leaving the EU is somehow an existential crisis.
    Especially when you consider what the EU has actually done. For all its claims to be one of the wonders of the world, it hasn't exactly presided over a European economic golden age...

ReputationRep:
    Especially when you consider what the EU has actually done. For all its claims to be one of the wonders of the world, it hasn't exactly presided over a European economic golden age...
    I get that the EU blows its own trumpet. Of course I do - any organisation is always going to say it's great.

What I don't get is why so many people have become almost overnight religious zealots for the EU. This idea that there is no life outside the EU, and that there is nothing but economic and social catastrophe. On any intelligent scale, this is nonsense - else (and unfortunately to paraphrase Boris Johnson) it would assume that everything outside the EU is some kind of Mad Max apocalyptic world.

ReputationRep:
    I get that the EU blows its own trumpet. Of course I do - any organisation is always going to say it's great.

What I don't get is why so many people have become almost overnight religious zealots for the EU. This idea that there is no life outside the EU, and that there is nothing but economic and social catastrophe. On any intelligent scale, this is nonsense - else (and unfortunately to paraphrase Boris Johnson) it would assume that everything outside the EU is some kind of Mad Max apocalyptic world.
    I think it all flows from the remain campaign. Like you, I get that they wanted to win, but when they realised the polls were closer than they expected they would be they just got increasingly, desperately bonkers. Brexit will cause WW3, everyone will be £4,300 worse off, blah blah. And yet, if you voted remain, you bought into that campaign. You are now invested, and the human psyche dislikes being proven wrong very, very much.

ReputationRep:
    I think it all flows from the remain campaign. Like you, I get that they wanted to win, but when they realised the polls were closer than they expected they would be they just got increasingly, desperately bonkers. Brexit will cause WW3, everyone will be £4,300 worse off, blah blah. And yet, if you voted remain, you bought into that campaign. Ynou are now invested, and the human psyche dislikes being proven wrong very, very much.
    One issue is that Remainers are in a lose/lose situation. If Brexit is a success they’re out of the the EU and they’ve been proven wrong. If Brexit goes badly then they’re living in a country that’s doing badly- but I get the idea that’s what many of them want.

Leavers on the other hand get to be out of the EU and might accept economic pain as an acceptable cost if it goes bad.

ReputationRep:
    One issue is that Remainers are in a lose/lose situation. If Brexit is a success they’re out of the the EU and they’ve been proven wrong. If Brexit goes badly then they’re living in a country that’s doing badly- but I get the idea that’s what many of them want.

Leavers on the other hand get to be out of the EU and might accept economic pain as an acceptable cost if it goes bad.
    This is what happens when you have a vitriolic campaign around a dichotomy. There is no "I don't like the government but voted Conservative because I like my local candidate" or "I don't like all of Labour's policies but I think they're right on this one issue which I particularly care about". We invited everyone to pick a side with no room for nuance and everyone is now firmly entrenched.

I'm as guilty as anyone in that I can see few scenarios where I would now be willing to turn my back on the principle of Brexit. Especially when I see the campaign to #StopBrexit as essentially duplicitous. But we are where we are I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's becuase we are now leaving it. It would be stupid to waste time thinking to much about the EU if you supported staying in it for conservative reasons. Leaving was the leap into the unknown. Staying was carrying on as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well that's becuase we are now leaving it. It would be stupid to waste time thinking to much about the EU if you supported staying in it for conservative reasons. Leaving was the leap into the unknown. Staying was carrying on as normal.
    That is one way of looking at it.

On the other hand, you could also take the view that our 25 year flirtation with this European project as an abberation, given the centuries of history that European countries have as separate entities. The EU isn't even a speck of dust on that history, and possibly in years to come will be looked on as a failed oddity.

Nobody looks back on Belgium or Luxemborg as being parts of the Napoleon's France, or harks back to what could have been. Same with the GroBdeutchland. So surely the normal state of affairs is Britain having nothing to do with this weird project, and the mad leap into the unknown was 1992.

ReputationRep:
    That is one way of looking at it.

On the other hand, you could also take the view that our 25 year flirtation with this European project as an abberation, given the centuries of history that European countries have as separate entities. The EU isn't even a speck of dust on that history, and possibly in years to come will be looked on as a failed oddity.

Nobody looks back on Belgium or Luxemborg as being parts of the Napoleon's France, or harks back to what could have been. Same with the GroBdeutchland. So surely the normal state of affairs is Britain having nothing to do with this weird project, and the mad leap into the unknown was 1992.
    Well yeah. But we are tlaking about poeple who voted Remain in the referendum. I was very much wearing a conservative hat when i voted to remain. I'm not one of these radical Remaniacs that keep propping up all over the place. I;m not annoyed that the Leavers, who spent thier poltcial life campaigning for this, haven't got the faintest clue what to actually do. The left of the 1970s actually had full detailed plans on what they wanted to do once they left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well yeah. But we are tlaking about poeple who voted Remain in the referendum. I was very much wearing a conservative hat when i voted to remain. I'm not one of these radical Remaniacs that keep propping up all over the place. I;m not annoyed that the Leavers, who spent thier poltcial life campaigning for this, haven't got the faintest clue what to actually do. The left of the 1970s actually had full detailed plans on what they wanted to do once they left.
    I would assume that most people who voted Remain did so on the basis of an assumption of economic advantage. There are also a significant number who I believe are in some way in favour of a greater European state over the individual nation states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Brexit will fundamentally change our lives forever so obviously many people are going to be upset over their friend voting for Brexit if they feel that Brexit is going to have a negative effect on them and lower their quality of life.
    Why will Brexit fundamentally change our lives?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.