The Student Room Group

What should I do at university?

The A levels that I am currently studying are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish. I achieved all A stars at GCSE.

Unfortunately I don’t know what I want to do at university yet and I am in year 12.

At one point I wanted to be a vet, but I did work Experience and decided it wasn’t for me.
I enjoy being outdoors and would be bored in a lab or having a 9-5 desk job.

I looked into marine biology, as I have a swimming background, but a relative of mine who did it has put me off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I seriously don’t know what to do.

Thanks!
Original post by Bryce_crispies
The A levels that I am currently studying are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish. I achieved all A stars at GCSE.

Unfortunately I don’t know what I want to do at university yet and I am in year 12.

At one point I wanted to be a vet, but I did work Experience and decided it wasn’t for me.

I looked into marine biology, as I have a swimming background, but a relative of mine who did it has put me off.

Thanks!

Dont commit to a degree unless or until you really know its what you want. take a gap if needed.

You chose great subjects that create a lot of options.

Play with this:
https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=SACU_BROWSE:331:0

You can also read any of these books at careers

These are all aimed at helping you find the right career.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-You-Are-Personality-Completely/dp/031623673X/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_266239_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=031623673X&pd_rd_r=KEYPGQTMVGDNERY6RK10&pd_rd_w=YwqrG&pd_rd_wg=A1vEr&psc=1&refRID=ZPFG93QAKP0RBV6TCN46

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Parachute-Teens-Third/dp/1607745771/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8EPTT0PFDR59F9YA0P31

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-World-Jenny-Mullins/dp/1492153281/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EWC70JNCQV4DKBPTDFS5

Thank you so much for saying I chose good options 😊 people normally say the Spanish was a bit odd with everything else! Thanks also for the recommendations!
Thank you so much for saying I chose good options 😊 people normally say the Spanish was a bit odd with everything else! Thanks also for the recommendations!

They are all facilitating subjects , which means they are in demand by courses and give you more options. They are also well respected.
Maths I think is the door opener as well as Chem and Bio in combination are powerful for a range of courses. The Spanish is less important, but it shows range, which some unis look for a range of A levels.

Some people only make one sound choice and you have four, hence they work well together and will give plenty of options.

Grades also matter, so do A levels where you can score highly , have an interest in and enjoy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
The Spanish is less important.

I have to respectfully disagree on this point. Each of these subjects is important in a different way, and would argue that Spanish does more for the OP than having two sciences (unless Medicine is on the cards, which it doesn't seem to be). The OP appears very well-rounded by having a humanities subject, and a language at that. S/he is therefore demonstrating essay-writing ability, but also highly prized languages skills which, as a nation, we are sorely lacking.

OP: Have you considered Law? I'd say that you have a good set of subjects for that, and it can lead to a range of career options within the profession, while still teaching the transferable and highly-desirable skills required elsewhere. Successful lawyers are required to drawn on a particularly diverse skill-set compared to other professions, and it can thus be very rewarding for those talented all-rounders who enjoy a challenge. There are also enough niches, disciplines and roles for you to be able to run with what really interests you most.

If you aren't necessarily sure what you want to do in the long run, the first thing is not to worry. Most people still don't know even when they're in their second year of university. You can always take a degree in a well-respected, traditional subject rather than a profession-specific one and see how you feel later. Any of the ones you've taken A Levels in would do, or something like Philosophy if you are pretty smart (which your grades suggest) and enjoy thinking and reasoning. You could also look at flexible/combined honours courses to see what piques your interest.
(edited 6 years ago)
The Spanish is less important for creating options as to what sort of degree options are available. The combination of Biology and Chemistry will open up many more courses and a science and Spanish.
It is also less important as its a fourth and they already have 3 of the strongest facilitators and the OP only needs three.
What the friends think doesnt matter.

Law doesnt require any combination of A levels. If anything subjects like History and English Lit are well suited.

I also wouldnt go to uni intill I had figured out which degree I wanted to do because they are only going to get finance once in most cases. there are numerous threads on TSR where people have chosen degree they hate or ones that they realised they took because thats all that was available and they felt they had to go to university.
Unfortunately by the time they realise this, then they are tens of thousands in debt or they have missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to do the course they really wanted.

Thanks!

I would look further into work experience or volunteering to get an idea of what interests you. Do some research and if possible, speak to people who are doing these careers. For some things, you do have to have a open mind - don't let one person or company put you off, get more information and opinions before you make a decision.

I agree that there is no rush to go to uni if you are not 100% sure - a lot of students take gap years. Use your time wisely to get the grades and find out what your interests are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending