The Student Room Group

Second Degrees (Full Time)

Hello,

I already have a Bsc at 2.1, although I'm looking at changing careers.

I've read repeatedly there is funding for second degrees, provided they are STEM subjects, but I can't find this info on any official website.

my two questions:

Does funding cover full time courses as well as part time? I want to study a Bsc in Maths and statistics, but looking at the courses it's very limiting as to where I could study if I am limited to part time.

is this second loan agreement roughly on the same terms as a first undergraduate degree, or is it more like the postgraduate loans where repayments must start regardless of earnings?

if anyone can shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated
Original post by Shoegazer92
Hello,

I've read repeatedly there is funding for second degrees, provided they are STEM subjects, but I can't find this info on any official website.

my two questions:

Does funding cover full time courses as well as part time? I want to study a Bsc in Maths and statistics, but looking at the courses it's very limiting as to where I could study if I am limited to part time.

is this second loan agreement roughly on the same terms as a first undergraduate degree, or is it more like the postgraduate loans where repayments must start regardless of earnings?

Hi Shoegazer92,

STEM courses are part-time and full time courses and to receive funding you will need to be studying one of the eligible courses. If the course is studied full time, then your previous qualification is taken into consideration.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

Biological Sciences (C)

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)

Physical Sciences (F)

Mathematical Sciences (G)

These courses are added onto your existing debt and paid back the same way.

Thanks

Catherine
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi Shoegazer92,

STEM courses are part-time and full time courses and to receive funding you will need to be studying one of the eligible courses. If the course is studied full time, then your previous qualification is taken into consideration.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Biological Sciences (C)

Physical Sciences (F)

These courses are added onto your existing debt and paid back the same way.

Thanks

Catherine

Sorry to be a pain, where you've said "If the course is studied full time, then your previous qualification is taken into consideration", does that mean I would only be eligible for funding for a part time degree course, (since I already have a degree)?

Thanks
Sorry to be a pain, where you've said "If the course is studied full time, then your previous qualification is taken into consideration", does that mean I would only be eligible for funding for a part time degree course, (since I already have a degree)?

Thanks

Hi Shoegazer92,

Yes, that is correct as you already hold a degree, we will not fund you for another full time degree at the same level.

Thanks

Catherine
if you have had a student loan before but not actually completed the course and not graduated, then can you still get funding for another course at the same level?
Original post by Blankcanvas
if you have had a student loan before but not actually completed the course and not graduated, then can you still get funding for another course at the same level?

Hi Blankcanvas,

If you already hold a degree, we will not fund an Equivalent Level Qualification ELQ, unless it is an exception course.

As long as you did not gain the qualification you can apply for future support.

Student Finance will take your previous study into account when calculating your entitlement for future support.

Regards Rona
Hello,

my two questions:

Perhaps you should consider the Open University, all their degrees are classed as part-time for student finance purposes (meaning you could get a second tuition fee loan) but you could still effectively study at a full-time rate if you wanted to and finish your degree in three years.
Original post by Snufkin
Perhaps you should consider the Open University, all their degrees are classed as part-time for student finance purposes (meaning you could get a second tuition fee loan) but you could still effectively study at a full-time rate if you wanted to and finish your degree in three years.

I had realised given where I live, the only realistic option was the OU.

I'd quite like to do something like this, although all other practical issues aside, I do wonder if SFE would actually allow it in practice, seems like a loophole to me
I had realised given where I live, the only realistic option was the OU.

I'd quite like to do something like this, although all other practical issues aside, I do wonder if SFE would actually allow it in practice, seems like a loophole to me

It's not a question of 'allowing' it - you can do it, even if they wanted to stop you, they can't.
Hello,

my two questions:

Hi Shoegazer92,

Students are eligible to apply for second degree, studied Part Time in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses.

This does not apply to Full - Time courses.

This means that students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualificatio if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the following.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

The 2017/18 student finance regulations will include a further 5 categories of exception subjects. These are as follows:

Biological Sciences (C)

Physical Sciences (F)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed.

To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G).

The JACS code is the unique identifier that Student Loans Company, UCAS and the Higher Education Provider's use to distinguish courses.

You would be eligible to start to make repayments on the loan from the April following your graduation or withdrawal from the course only then , once you are earning over the threshold.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest