Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I read this page: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...usehold-income

But I'm not sure I fall into any of the categories at the bottom of the page -

• I am under 25 (19)
    • I will have lived on my own for over 12 months by the time I start University in September
    • I'm living and working in Germany at the moment - but am a British Citizen
    • I am financially independent - that is to say I so not receive any money from my Parents - and they're not planning to loan me anything/gift me any money towards the costs of University AFAIK.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm kind of assuming it won't be easy to explain my situation in a form when applying!

Cheers,

Angus
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ang1243)
    Hey there,

I read this page: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...usehold-income

But I'm not sure I fall into any of the categories at the bottom of the page -

• I am under 25 (19)
    • I will have lived on my own for over 12 months by the time I start University in September
    • I'm living and working in Germany at the moment - but am a British Citizen
    • I am financially independent - that is to say I so not receive any money from my Parents - and they're not planning to loan me anything/gift me any money towards the costs of University AFAIK.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm kind of assuming it won't be easy to explain my situation in a form when applying!

Cheers,

Angus
    Hi Angus,

To be classed as an independent student you must meet the following criteria,

• are 25 or over before the start of the academic year
    • are under 25 and married/divorced before the start of the academic year
    • have care of a child on the first day of the academic year
    • are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year
    • have no living parents
    • are irreconsiliably estranged from their parents
    • have been the subject of a care order
    • cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them
    • In paid full-time employment
    • In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    • In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    • Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

If you do not meet the following criteria, then you are still classed as a dependent student and whether you live with your parents or not we will still require their household income for you to receive the maintenance loan based on household income.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi Angus,

To be classed as an independent student you must meet the following criteria,

• are 25 or over before the start of the academic year
    • are under 25 and married/divorced before the start of the academic year
    • have care of a child on the first day of the academic year
    • are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year
    • have no living parents
    • are irreconsiliably estranged from their parents
    • have been the subject of a care order
    • cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them
    • In paid full-time employment
    • In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    • In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    • Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

If you do not meet the following criteria, then you are still classed as a dependent student and whether you live with your parents or not we will still require their household income for you to receive the maintenance loan based on household income.

Thanks

Catherine
    Hey Catherine,

Thank you very much for the swift response!

I definitely don't meet all of those criteria - but I am currently in paid full-time employment, however I won't be once I start University - would this mean I could be classified as an independent student?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for continuing the line of queries!

Angus
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ang1243)
    Hey Catherine,

Thank you very much for the swift response!

I definitely don't meet all of those criteria - but I am currently in paid full-time employment, however I won't be once I start University - would this mean I could be classified as an independent student?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for continuing the line of queries!

Angus
    Hi ang1243,

Yes, if you are employed and have 3 years self support you can be classed as an independent student, we will ask for evidence to show this.

P60; month 12/week 52 wage slip; benefit receipt letters; Statement of Earnings; Employers letters; Tax returns; accounts

Thanks

Catherine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.