Turn on thread page Beta

So I have been doing an internship for nearly a year. Its mostly been educational stuff i.e. completing assignments set by the mentor etc and preparing for an exam outside of uni. I am in my 3rd year at uni.

Finished all of the intern work and now doing work experience again in a few weeks. They even said I can help out with their top highest department as well.
    I thought it was appropriate to update my Linkedin as the intern. Then my mentor told me to take it down and I found out yesterday why (through one of their co-workers). Its because they don't want to look bad for not paying someone because it will be made illegal soon in the UK?

I have spoken to close connection in my network who says that I should just put it on my CV anyway etc. I feel disappointed because they said it would make me look bad. I have put a lot of work into everything, Im not even asking to be paid, I only want to make if official for potential employers.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't seem right that you can't mention that you worked there on LinkedIn! You have done a lot for the company and learnt a lot of skills that would be relevant to any future role. I don't really understand why you can't mention it because you weren't paid (plus you never state that you weren't paid) as a lot of people note down internships and work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't think it's right either. And I have dated or said when specific things ended and it's stated clear what I am currently doing. One of my connections said I should just post it and it's my choice and not the company.And I'm not asking anything from them, just want to share it

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your boss about it. You need to be able to get credit and a reference from the work. And plenty of internships are paid so there's no way to know whether or not you were.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't seem right at all. It's your Linkedin profile so you should be free to put genuine internships or work experience on there if you wish. Nothing to stop you from putting it on your CV though.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.