Turn on thread page Beta

Only getting 2yrs funding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've received my letter stating my entitlement and questioned it with SFE online. I was wondering my options going forward given there is a £9k hole to fill for 1st year?

Im entitled to 2 years tuition + 4 years higher rate maintenance loan.

I'm hoping to go LJMU for Bio tried contacting them but their phones are down. Only option i can see is if LJMU say okay you can do it but pay the missing years tuition in final year is to go homeless in final year and pay it using my maintenance loan.

Any help or advise to ease my mind would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mabratley)
    Hi,

I've received my letter stating my entitlement and questioned it with SFE online. I was wondering my options going forward given there is a £9k hole to fill for 1st year?

I'm hoping to go LJMU for Bio tried contacting them but their phones are down. Only option i can see is if LJMU say okay you can do it but pay the missing years tuition in final year is to go homeless in final year and pay it using my maintenance loan.

Thanks
    Presumably you have already used two years finances up?

If you left a course, then what were the reasons? Were they medical or a family tragedy?

The only realistic way appears to be get a job and save up the money.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    In a similar position to you, if you start a new course you should still receive maintenance loan. Use that to cover your tuition fees and work at weekends to cover your living costs.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is if you are not ready / have no means to fund it then don't go. Can you defer the offer, work this year and go next year? (obviously as a last resort)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Presumably you have already used two years finances up?

If you left a course, then what were the reasons? Were they medical or a family tragedy?

The only realistic way appears to be get a job and save up the money.
    My work put me through a HNC back in 2012. Ive got wellish paid job but no way i can save 9k in less than 7 months after i take bills etc out.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    My work put me through a HNC back in 2012. Ive got wellish paid job but no way i can save 9k in less than 7 months after i take bills etc out.
    Save it plus a bit more then find the degree you really want, even one with an included foundation year.
    The HNC lasted two years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Save it plus a bit more then find the degree you really want, even one with an included foundation year.
    The HNC lasted two years?
    Yeah my company put me through it while an apprentice so had to do it part time. But worked out i can save 2k, it not enough but is a start . Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do an allied health degree or work at maccy'ds for a couple of years and save up. If the former, then those degrees are exempt from the 2 year only rule.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yeah my company put me through it while an apprentice so had to do it part time. But worked out i can save 2k, it not enough but is a start . Thanks
    Unfortunate. p/t otherwise youd have enough left.

They will want the money up front. Delay a start and save the money plus some extra.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.