The Student Room Group

University of Leicester vs University of Strathclyde

Hi guys,

I am an international student and have been offered places to enroll in these universities' MSc. Finance. Now, I have researched much about each city and I have to say that, since I'm only going to be there for a year, it is not a big deal for me.

So, Leicester is better ranked in every rank, including THE, QS and The Complete University guide, although I do believe that those ranks don't say a lot.

Strathclyde, on the other hand, looks amazing and seems to also be a well respected university.

So, I terms of reputation and teaching/research quality, is any of them fine or does one of them stand out?

PS: if I receive an offer from York, should I definitely take it or is it on par with them?
Reply 1
For Finance I suggest you look at LBS, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, CASS, KCL, Bath, St. Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, Henley as they are much more prestigious in this field and overall.
Reply 2
Hey thanks! I´ve got offers from St Andrews (Msc FInance at the Econ department) and from Edinburgh and Glasgow from their business departments. What do you think
Reply 3
Original post by costal
Hey thanks! I´ve got offers from St Andrews (Msc FInance at the Econ department) and from Edinburgh and Glasgow from their business departments. What do you think

Congratulations ^_^

I have just replied to another post you have created and hope it is helpful ^_^
Original post by costal
Hi guys,

I am an international student and have been offered places to enroll in these universities' MSc. Finance. Now, I have researched much about each city and I have to say that, since I'm only going to be there for a year, it is not a big deal for me.

So, Leicester is better ranked in every rank, including THE, QS and The Complete University guide, although I do believe that those ranks don't say a lot.

Strathclyde, on the other hand, looks amazing and seems to also be a well respected university.

So, I terms of reputation and teaching/research quality, is any of them fine or does one of them stand out?

PS: if I receive an offer from York, should I definitely take it or is it on par with them?

Hi @costal,

Congratulations on receiving your offer for MSc in Finance!

Strathclyde is indeed a well respected university.

We're ranked first in the UK for Accounting and Finance in the Complete University Guide Subject Tables 2019. We were also awarded the Times Higher Education UK Business School of the Year in 2016.

During your MSc you will complete a dissertation or a series of research projects. The MSc programme is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). The course also counts as credits towards the Chartered Banker qualification offered by the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland.

On the other hand, Leicester University lets you apply to complete a six month MSc International Banking and Finance (MIBF) programme in the Economics Department at Lingan University in Hong Kong. You will receive two degrees after completing a 12-month course at Leicester and a 6-month course at the uni in Hong Kong.

Have you heard back from York University yet?

If you have any other questions then please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

During your MSc, you will develop an in-depth understanding of the principles of finance, investment analysis along with the economic principles underlying them. You will gain an advanced understanding of the key theories and concepts of finance and investment through our core modules. You will gain a strong command of analytical techniques, computing and research methods for problem solving and develop your critical analysis of economic theories and debates. The degree will equip you with confidence in the use and presentation of economic arguments in your professional role.

Once you are studying here in Leicester you can apply to complete a six-month MSc International Banking and Finance (MIBF) programme in the Department of Economics at Lingnan University in Hong Kong. After completing a 12-month course at Leicester and a six-month course at Lingnan you will receive two MSc degrees - one from each university. Eligibility criteria and assessment whilst studying your Masters degree with us apply.
During your MSc, you will develop an in-depth understanding of the principles of finance, investment analysis along with the economic principles underlying them. You will gain an advanced understanding of the key theories and concepts of finance and investment through our core modules. You will gain a strong command of analytical techniques, computing and research methods for problem solving and develop your critical analysis of economic theories and debates. The degree will equip you with confidence in the use and presentation of economic arguments in your professional role.

Quick Reply

Latest