The Student Room Group

Naval Architecture vs Marine Engineering

Hi, guys!

Can anyone explain to me the differences between naval architecture and marine engineering?
I've searched on the web but I still don't really get it.

Thanks!
Hi, they are a conjoined course. Basically you are taught naval architecture in a conjoined degree with engineering. The naval architecture helps the engineering side and the engineering side helps the naval architecture.
Original post by Aegyst
Hi, guys!

Can anyone explain to me the differences between naval architecture and marine engineering?
I've searched on the web but I still don't really get it.

Thanks!

-Naval Architecture is basically the study of ship science. It's engineering applied to anything "ship based" so for example Hull and Propulsor/ Ship performances at sea, Ship structures/design etc.

-Marine Engineering is basically a much 'broader version' of the above. Think of it like Mechanical Engineering but applied to everything Marine related.

Therefore Marine Engineering covers both Naval Architecture but also Marine machinery. I hope that makes sense :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by trapking
-Naval Architecture is basically the study of ship science. It's engineering applied to anything "ship based" so for example Hull and Propulsor/ Ship performances at sea, Ship structures/design etc.

-Marine Engineering is basically a much 'broader version' of the above. Think of it like Mechanical Engineering but applied to everything Marine related.

Therefore Marine Engineering covers both Naval Architecture but also Marine machinery. I hope that makes sense :smile:

Thank you for the explanation!

Quick Reply