Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Moving into a house in my first year with second years, will I still enjoy myself? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I’m moving to uni this year and rather than halls I’ve decided to move in with people I already know who will be in their second year and I will be in my first, will it make a difference that we’re in different years?? Will freshers still be as good and will I still make my own friends etc? Any tips/advice would be great
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Is it still possible to make friends with your flatmates, I assume the age gap isn't too great, and they can give you a lot of advice about first year! I would also look at making friends on your course, joining societies or in your accommodation block too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmahoward1112)
    So I’m moving to uni this year and rather than halls I’ve decided to move in with people I already know who will be in their second year and I will be in my first, will it make a difference that we’re in different years?? Will freshers still be as good and will I still make my own friends etc? Any tips/advice would be great
    go fr it aslong as u get along

ReputationRep:
    cheesecakelove yeah I’m a couple months younger than one of them so we’re pretty close in age, thanks for ur advice
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine but you'll probably end up hanging around second years the most. Might be a good thing because you'll actually go to the decent clubs. It won't be as easy to make new friends if you're not in halls with other freshers but as long as you make an effort with the people on your course you should be fine. I'd recommend joining a society as well. Try not to rely on your second year friends too much though, it's important to have your own social life and you'll need people to live with when they graduate. Also when they're in third year they'll have loads of work and probably not as much time to hang out with you when you're still in second year.
    If it's not completely finalised then I'd probably reconsider and think about going into halls if you do want a better first year and freshers experience. You'll always have this other group of friends but it'll just mean you'll be able to live your own life and have your own friends and flatmates. You'll have a much wider social circle.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.