Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Healthy snack recipes that use normal ingredients watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I'm trying to improve what I snack on (currently crisps, cereal bars or chocolate - I do eat fruit too so it isn't all bad) and I've just spent a good period of time googling for healthy snack recipes I can eat on the go, at uni, at work, that are not only cheap to make but also use normal ingredients and will fill me up until my next meal.

Why is it so hard?

I find a recipe, oh wait no it's American so it's all in cups, which is a nightmare to convert because every website or chart gives you vastly different amounts so I never know if it's right. I've had food go very wrong in the past because of this.

I find another one, looks good, says it's healthy, but contains a crap tonne of sugar.

Another one, but it contains ingredients you don't commonly have in your cupboard and that are expensive to buy too. I'm a student so I don't have much room to store random things and it has to be cheap to buy if I have to buy a new ingredient.

Or there's other recipes where they look good, but need to be stored in the fridge or freezer, yet I want something I can take to work (where I don't have continuous access to a fridge) or keep in my bag whilst at uni.

Ideally I want a good banana oat muffin recipe, and I think I've found one but it's in cups so I've tried converting it, but I'm not convinced. I'll try it out this week and see how it turns out.

I like making stuff with bananas and oats, because they're filling. Has anyone got any good, healthy snack recipes using these? I'd prefer to have as little sugar as possible, not many calories but also something that will keep my blood pressure and sugars up between meals.

I know I sound really picky and probably impossible to find something I will like but it's not unreasonable:

- UK measurements to avoid conversion mistakes (grams, ml)
    - Healthy (low sugar, low calorie etc.)
    - Cheap to make
    - Won't go off being stored in a cupboard-like area
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I'm trying to improve what I snack on (currently crisps, cereal bars or chocolate - I do eat fruit too so it isn't all bad) and I've just spent a good period of time googling for healthy snack recipes I can eat on the go, at uni, at work, that are not only cheap to make but also use normal ingredients and will fill me up until my next meal.

Why is it so hard?

I find a recipe, oh wait no it's American so it's all in cups, which is a nightmare to convert because every website or chart gives you vastly different amounts so I never know if it's right. I've had food go very wrong in the past because of this.

I find another one, looks good, says it's healthy, but contains a crap tonne of sugar.

Another one, but it contains ingredients you don't commonly have in your cupboard and that are expensive to buy too. I'm a student so I don't have much room to store random things and it has to be cheap to buy if I have to buy a new ingredient.

Or there's other recipes where they look good, but need to be stored in the fridge or freezer, yet I want something I can take to work (where I don't have continuous access to a fridge) or keep in my bag whilst at uni.

Ideally I want a good banana oat muffin recipe, and I think I've found one but it's in cups so I've tried converting it, but I'm not convinced. I'll try it out this week and see how it turns out.

I like making stuff with bananas and oats, because they're filling. Has anyone got any good, healthy snack recipes using these? I'd prefer to have as little sugar as possible, not many calories but also something that will keep my blood pressure and sugars up between meals.

I know I sound really picky and probably impossible to find something I will like but it's not unreasonable:

- Cheap to make
    Basic flapjack recipes would fit those criteria , oats keep for months and you can use brown sugar instead.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Basic flapjack recipes would fit those criteria , oats keep for months and you can use brown sugar instead.
    Yeah I tried flapjacks not too long ago using honey. Unfortunately the honey stated it had 40ml more than it actually did, so they turned out pretty flaky! I'll definitely be trying it again, flapjacks have been a favourite of mine for years.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a recipe but my mum used to make flapjack but add mashed bananas and chopped nuts and seeds. I think she might have not put any sugar in either. You probably just need to do a bit of experimenting at some point to work out the quantities you need of everything. It will still taste good even if it's really crumbly/falls apart and then you'll just know you need to add a bit more moisture next time
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I usually snack on Jacobs black pepper crackers when I'm in a calorie deficit. They're about 30 calories each. I guess I would only recommend them if you're on a strict calorie limit every day because they only taste good when you're desperate for a snack.
    Also I carry grapes in a small food bag or container and snack on those throughout the day at uni. You could cut up apples or pears into small slices and do the same thing? Switching from whole to semi skimmed milk also saves a decent amount of calories (about 50cals per 100ml I think)
    Download myfitnesspal on your phone and just log everything that you eat (you can search any food and the calorie content/nutritional values are all there) for a few days, and you'll probably notice that some of the foods you eat all the time are actually much lower in calories than you thought. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to try the American recipes why not just buy some measuring cups? They're not exactly expensive. Apologies if you already know this, but converting from cups to grams is difficult because you're converting a volume to a weight, so the conversion is dependant on what you're measuring, i.e. 1 cup of flour won't weigh the same as 1 cup of water.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    If you want to try the American recipes why not just buy some measuring cups? They're not exactly expensive. Apologies if you already know this, but converting from cups to grams is difficult because you're converting a volume to a weight, so the conversion is dependant on what you're measuring, i.e. 1 cup of flour won't weigh the same as 1 cup of water.
    Because I already brought way too much stuff to uni that I'm not using, so I don't really want to buy anything else I'm going to have to store (like baking equipment) because that will make moving back home even more difficult. Even though cups take up hardly any room, it all adds up. If I buy 20 small things, that adds up to quite a lot of space when you put it all together. I'd rather use things I already have, like scales in grams or ml.

ReputationRep:

Why is it so hard?

- Cheap to make
    You should stop to search, because you won't find an ideal snacks made by industries.

Why?

industries uses ( in general) lots of sugar to make people's level of insulin grow up fast, in order to create a dependence.

Low sugar products contains ingredients that replace sugar that are even more dangerous for the heart then sugar.

I don't know where you are from, my suggest is to find a confectionery shop and speech with the owner about the ingratiates he use.

Only hand made snacks are healthy, and obviously not all of them.

I live in a area rich of small activities, where the owner is also the producer, so I can ask him what I want inside the product.
    ( the same for the bread, pasta, meat etc...)

WiSi
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by WiSi)
    You should stop to search, because you won't find an ideal snacks made by industries.

Why?

industries uses ( in general) lots of sugar to make people's level of insulin grow up fast, in order to create a dependence.

Low sugar products contains ingredients that replace sugar that are even more dangerous for the heart then sugar.

I don't know where you are from, my suggest is to find a confectionery shop and speech with the owner about the ingratiates he use.

Only hand made snacks are healthy, and obviously not all of them.

I live in a area rich of small activities, where the owner is also the producer, so I can ask him what I want inside the product.
    ( the same for the bread, pasta, meat etc...)

WiSi
    I'm searching for recipes to make the snacks myself. I'm not buying pre-made snacks. So if you have any of those that use oats or bananas, would be really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I'm searching for recipes to make the snacks myself. I'm not buying pre-made snacks. So if you have any of those that use oats or bananas, would be really helpful!
    What about a natural yogurt with slices of fruit you put inside ?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by WiSi)
    What about a natural yogurt with slices of fruit you put inside ?
    As I said in my original post, I need it to be something I can carry in my bag that doesn't need to be chilled. I don't have access to a fridge at work or at university, so it needs to be something that won't go off in my bag for several hours. Preferably something with oats or bananas.

ReputationRep:
    Homemade kale crisps?

ReputationRep:
    As I said in my original post, I need it to be something I can carry in my bag that doesn't need to be chilled. I don't have access to a fridge at work or at university, so it needs to be something that won't go off in my bag for several hours. Preferably something with oats or bananas.
    A yogurt is not difficult to carry with you, and you don't need to refrigerate, unless you live in places where temperature are super high.

Anyway, you prefer something to prepare at home?
    How much time do you have to prepare?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by WiSi)
    A yogurt is not difficult to carry with you, and you don't need to refrigerate, unless you live in places where temperature are super high.

Anyway, you prefer something to prepare at home?
    How much time do you have to prepare?
    Well, typically you do keep yoghurts in the fridge because after spending several hours at room temperature they will start to go off, otherwise why do supermarkets keep them in the chilled section.

Yes, I prefer to prepare things at home, as stated originally. Recipes that allow me to make things myself. I have a reasonable amount of time each week. It varies each week so hard to say how much exactly.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    Homemade kale crisps?
    I have found recipes for apple crisps and sweet potato ones, so I think I'll try them first as I seem to prefer them over kale, but I like the idea of these healthy crisps.

ReputationRep:
    70 g of almonds 70 g of cashew nuts 10 of dates 40 g of flaked coconut 45 g of instant oats 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (dissolved) 1 lemon (juice and peel)

Soak almonds, cashews and dates separately for 15 minutes. Cut the dates into small pieces. Put the walnuts, dates, oats and about ¾ of the coconut flakes in a mixer and blend until they are well mixed. Add coconut oil, peel and lemon juice and blend again. Wet your hands, shape the balls and pass them into the remaining coconut flakes Put everything in a container and keep it in the fridge

This should be the result.
    http://www.ricettecrudiste.it/wp-con...ne-640x320.jpg

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    You can make crisps without oil if you put them in the microwave, be warned it takes a while to get it right for your own machine.

For a sugar hit - skin a banana, put it in a bowl, put in a microwave for about 2 minutes, serve with natural yogurt.

Things like fresh carrots, celery can be munched on.

In summer I use lettuce leaves to wrap the usual sandwich fillings for an alternative. Another is frozen grapes eaten like boiled sweets.

Add carrots/parsnips to recipes instead of sugar.

Flapjacks just make without the sugar, but with a little extra syrup/honey.

ReputationRep:
    I do loads of roasted root vegetables. I keep the bulk refrigerated and take what I'll eat during the day in a small, plastic container. Even when they're soft, they never go off during the day. Never. I keep them in my bag or in a desk drawer. Depending on the veg, you can mix and match for the best carb/sugar content to meet your needs. AND no special recipe to follow or measure.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard good things about banana oat cookies. You just mash up a banana in a bowl and add quick oats. Then you just form cookie shapes on a tray and place them in the oven. The recipe i looked at was in cups though. But there are many different recipes for it so im sure there must be ones with the measurements you want.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.