The Student Room Group

Can I apply for student finance if I have dropped out of uni before?

I am an EU student and have gone to uni twice before. First time I gave up after I paid for the second semester and dropped out before finishing my first year. Second time I didn't even wait to finish the first semester of the first year. I have my reasons, which I would prefer not to share here, so please don't ask me. I will be starting university in the UK in September and am very worried that I won't be able to apply for student finance.
Original post by sleepykoala
I am an EU student and have gone to uni twice before. First time I gave up after I paid for the second semester and dropped out before finishing my first year. Second time I didn't even wait to finish the first semester of the first year. I have my reasons, which I would prefer not to share here, so please don't ask me. I will be starting university in the UK in September and am very worried that I won't be able to apply for student finance.

Hi sleepykoala,

Students are entitled to the length of their new course including an additional year minus any previous study, for example 3 + 1 = 4 - 2 = 2 years of funding still available.

If you had a compelling personal reason why you had to leave the course you can send in evidence of this to get an extra year of funding.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence;

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and

When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks