Using a sun bed to tan in less than two weeks.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
eDDeboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is this normal or unhealthy?

I've got really fair skin, basically I'm pale.
I've got a toga party in just under two weeks, and I was wondering if I could get some colour in me by then from using a sun bed.

They're free at my gym, and I'm there most days. So I'm wondering how often should I use it, and for how long?

Thanks.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The one and only time I've ever used a sun-bed (to attempt the correction of some truly glaring strap-marks after I fell asleep in the sun), they would only allow me to go on for something like 4-6 minutes... and I'm not particularly fair-skinned naturally. It's not exactly good for you, and I reckon you'd probably have to use it a fair bit to get a decent tan from being pale. Oh.. and isn't there anyone at your gym who regulates the things?

Have you thought about getting a spray-tan instead? Admittedly it's not free, but it's not going to do any damage to your skin (unless you're allergic to the fake tan, heh), and will take a fraction of the time you'd have to spend on a sun-bed to achieve the same colour.
layla_1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Skin cancer.
However, do you tan normally? Prob not if you have pale skin.
No one honestly cares if you are pale, wearing a toga. Your features look nice pale, tanning in any form will just be a bd idea.
eDDeboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Just want some colour, not a brown tan.
I do tan, but I always loose it within two weeks.
I also only plan to use it a few times.. not a continuous thing.
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sunbeds are notorious for causing skin cancer..

If anyone in your family has any history of cancer, I'd say no way.

Else.. it probably won't kill you, but why take the chance.
ChocolateEyes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I hate sun beds, cancer places all of them.

Use fake tan instead
star.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
don't use them, ever. really really bad for you. especially if you have pale skin! spray tans are great, last quite a while, and look real. cheaper alternative is do it yourself, you can get pretty good ones from boots etc, make sure you exfoliate and moisturise. or just stick with pale and interesting i doubt many people at the party will be tanned, seeing as its february!
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you do want to use a sunbed (I'd say go for the sand-up ones, I don't know how anybody who's watched Final Destination 3 can feel comfortable with the lie-down ones!), you'd probably have to start off with just a 3 minute session. For example, on a Monday, do 3 minutes, don't go on it on Tuesday, on Wednesday for 3 minutes, don't go on it on Thursday, on Friday do 6 minutes etc etc, gradually building it up. I wouldn't spend any longer than 6 minutes on one. Use a tanning accelerator cream so you get a tan more quickly and don't need to spend as long in the booth. If you're just going on a few times in the space of a couple of weeks and it's a one-off, it's not gonna be uber-dangerous, hopefully - most people get tanned in the summer and don't think anything of it. But still, sunbeds aren't good for you!

All that said fake's really the way to go...I could never understand the women where I used to get my nails done going on the beds for like 15 minutes every day - did they not realise they were practically foisting cancer upon themselves?! And they looked awful too - a horrible orangey-reddy-browny colour with awful wrinkled skin from all that exposure. I'd rather be pale and interesting than turd colour and wrinkly! St Tropez's pretty good, do it like the day or two before. If you can get someone to help you apply it that's better as it can be tricky doing it yourself, or you could get a spray tan done.
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go on for 6 minutes a time, three times a week and you should have a nice colour in two weeks time. I always use the lie down ones as it makes me imagine that I'm on a beach
that_girl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i was in a similar situation but i went for fake tan, at boots they have these fake tan wipes for like £1.50 or something for 2 (Garnier) and i used about 3 or 4. Also the number 7 ones are pretty good but a bit more expensive, although in the sale at the moment! i'd say avoid te sunbed at ALL costs, its not worth the risk.
xx
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm extremely fair skinned and 6 mins has never burnt me, meh.
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No they're the strongest watts you can get.
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Check my profile pic out, I am naturally blonde, with blonde eyelashes and blonde eyebrows so I am definitely definitely fair skinned.
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well thanks for that but I know 100% what type of skin I have :rolleyes:

If I'm not extremely fair skinned then what are you looking for? An albino?

And look at the OP's profile pic, I am definitely more fair skinned than he is. I don't quite know what you're arguing with me for? I AM fair skinned, I use high wattage sunbeds and I don't burn after 6 mins (even when not going on for months on end). Why won't you believe me? :confused:
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But obviously you don't know for "a fact 6 mins for the first for a fair skinned person would burn lol" because you have just ADMITTED that I myself am fair skinned and I have told you that 6 mins does not burn me after not going on for a while!
I also go on the sunbeds an awful lot and I KNOW I have very fair skin, I don't care whether you think I don't lol I know my skin better than you do and I do not burn after 6 mins.
Anyways you can reply back if you want but this is pathetic now so I won't get involved anymore.

ETA: OF course he would
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by eDDeboo)
Is this normal or unhealthy?

I've got really fair skin, basically I'm pale.
I've got a toga party in just under two weeks, and I was wondering if I could get some colour in me by then from using a sun bed.

They're free at my gym, and I'm there most days. So I'm wondering how often should I use it, and for how long?

Thanks.
If you are as pale as i am, ie red hair, freckles etc by some law youre not allowed to use them, just wack on the fake stuff and avoid cancer.
Trigger
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well i would be ****ing angry if someone let me on a sunbed, it would be the least professional thing you could do. And to Dita, judging by your profile pic youre obviously sunning yourself under a lightbulb
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't go on in the winter months
Trigger
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So why dont you just sunbathe with high factor sunscreen? Why are people so willing to make themselves ill just to look brown
icapturethecastle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aww no, imo, don't use a tanning bad...ideally, they shouldn't be used at all...skin cancer and all

if ur the kinda person who follows trends...the whole tanned look is going out...and it's all about the classical 20s -50s and vctoriana thing

:p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (7)
25.93%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (9)
33.33%
I have already dropped out (1)
3.7%
I'm not a current university student (10)
37.04%

Watched Threads