Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to calm my anxiety when someone I like doesn't text me back? watch

This may sound really silly to you. But I have this anxiety when I text or fb message someone I like and they do not response even though I've seen that they are online. I start to have hyperventilation and I can't breathe properly. Also, I can't think striaght and seem to focus on this and cannot do anything else. I can't read my uni reading and just always feel distracted. What should I do to get my mind out of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may sound really silly to you. But I have this anxiety when I text or fb message someone I like and they do not response even though I've seen that they are online. I start to have hyperventilation and I can't breathe properly. Also, I can't think striaght and seem to focus on this and cannot do anything else. I can't read my uni reading and just always feel distracted. What should I do to get my mind out of this?
    You should think that the account you speech with is just a person like new, with nothing special.

Try to image him/her in embarrassing situations.

ReputationRep:
    Try to relax
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Appreciate that not everyone has access to their devices immediately. Maybe the person you messaged is in class and can't respond straight away. Maybe their phone is muted and they didn't get the notification. Maybe you messaged then on Facebook but they don't have an app on their phone so you need to wait for them to get home to even see the message.

In the broadest sense, it's about realising that people have lives and no matter who you are they can't be expected to drop everything at a given moment to talk to you. Don't feel anxious because it's not about you, nor is this a problem you alone have. Everyone has lives and sometimes that means prioritising something else over replying to a message. Sometimes it means that you don't even realise there's a message there. Sometimes it means not replying instantly for fear of looking desperate or needy.

What do you have to be anxious about? What does it matter if they don't reply? Life will go on, whether they reply or not. Don't let it get to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACrowLookedAtMe)
    Try to relax
    As a person who lives with anxiety, I can safely say that isn't the solution to everyone's problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My girlfriend experiences the same problem. Not sure about the hyperventilation bit but when I stop responding to her, she doesn't take it well and worries quite a bit. They might well be busy and have just left their phone turned on. It won't take forever for them to get back to you, so try talking to friends to help soothe your stress. They're closer to you after all and maybe will acknowledge you more.

I used to be like that but as soon as you start to trust the person the anxiety and panic gets better. Just give it time

Don't let someone unknowingly take control of you emotionally. If they don't reply and that is somehow affecting you extremely, then it is a good sign to back off for a while.

(Trust me, this is coming from someone who is currently being ghosted their crush; it's been 2 months, all I did was ask about work. He can stick his thumb up his arse)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.