Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. My coursemates are having a debate with another coursemate regarding my lecturerers professsionalism.

Our lecturer will send us texts regularly that don’t make much sense (babbles on a lot and types in a confusing way which is extremely hard to read). He also mass texts, FaceTimes students, and calls students out of hours (sometimes approaching 10pm). One time he called a students mother. We are in second year. None of the other lecturers do this, they send formal emails. Do you think he is unprofessional?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think that it is. He should stick to emails. Does he text/facetime about work? Or is he discussing other things?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm confused as to how this lecturer even got all of your phone numbers? But yes that does seem highly unprofessional, especially calling a student's mother. That is absolutely unacceptable and I would have been fuming.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's extremely unusual, if this is a university lecturer. The only time I've ever had anything less formal than email contact with a lecturer was with my project supervisor, who I had on skype for convenience - this was someone I obviously was quite familiar with and spoke to at one to one at least once a week if not more, rather than a random lecturer who I may or may not speak to individually ever...

Also contacting the parent of a student, if they're over the age of 18, is likely in breach of data protection laws. They're either calling to inform them of some action or information regarding the student (who as an adult, needs to give their express permission to share this - exceptions may be made in the event of concern for the wellbeing of the student but this would be done by a specific health professionals within the university), or they've pulled up the students' next of kin contact details for their own personal benefit which again, very illegal.

Similarly, while receiving emails at odd hours is to be expected, (as is babbling/rambling - most lecturers tend to be somewhat fluffy minded) this is not the same as being called or texted directly - some case may be made for the latter being acceptable, but calling/facetiming, especially outside of hours, could be considered harassment.

While I will give the academic the benefit of the doubt that there is no malicious intent on their part, some of this is pretty serious and should be flagged with the director of studies. The DOS can clarify what is or isn't appropriate conduct in this situation for the lecturer, before it comes to something more serious which could compromise their position in the university. .

ReputationRep:
    Yes he’s a university lecturer. He got our numbers from when we signed up for a trip in the first few weeks of uni (I think - I don’t recall giving him my phone number directly). Thank you for your replies, I think I definitely need to go to the DOS. We are a small course (12 to be exact) and have complained on multiple occasions about him and so have other years and nothing has been done. It’s getting a bit of a joke now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by g0tl0st)
    Yes he’s a university lecturer. He got our numbers from when we signed up for a trip in the first few weeks of uni (I think - I don’t recall giving him my phone number directly). Thank you for your replies, I think I definitely need to go to the DOS. We are a small course (12 to be exact) and have complained on multiple occasions about him and so have other years and nothing has been done. It’s getting a bit of a joke now.
    Those phone numbers should have been removed from his contacts after the trip was completed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.