The Student Room Group

Preparing for the UKCAT early

I need some advice on how to master the UKCAT. I have the 1000 UKCAT questions book and I'm using medic portal. Does anyone have any other sources?

Also, how can I prepare for the interviews effectively. I am slightly anxious about this matter, but I'm willing to do all I can, to have a succesful interview. Any advice on preparing for it please?
Original post by Kushala Daora
I need some advice on how to master the UKCAT. I have the 1000 UKCAT questions book and I'm using medic portal. Does anyone have any other sources?

Also, how can I prepare for the interviews effectively. I am slightly anxious about this matter, but I'm willing to do all I can, to have a succesful interview. Any advice on preparing for it please?

What year are you in?

Medify is very good for UKCAT, and there's plenty of advice on here regarding interviews.
I'd start with the link below and if you have any questions then feel free to ask.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by HopelessMedic
What year are you in?

Medify is very good for UKCAT, and there's plenty of advice on here regarding interviews.
I'd start with the link below and if you have any questions then feel free to ask.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

I'm in year 12, but my sixth form advisor has told me that I am a long way away from preparing for medicine (I'm also writing parts of my personal statement) but encouraged me to use the UKCAT book.

How can I make myself stand out in the interviews?

I've been reading books on philosophy and ethics and neurology, to increase my scope of knowledge on the subject. However, my general knowledge on stuff about NHS is quite poor. I understand bits of it, but I simply don't have enough understanding of politics to give an articulate opinion and I worry that I may embarrass myself.

I was thinking of doing the Extended Project Program (EPQ) and write a dissertation on the history of the NHS and my opinions on it, which would be useful. However I was told that this AS course wastes valuable time. What's your opinion on the EPQ?
I'm in year 12, but my sixth form advisor has told me that I am a long way away from preparing for medicine (I'm also writing parts of my personal statement) but encouraged me to use the UKCAT book.

How can I make myself stand out in the interviews?

I've been reading books on philosophy and ethics and neurology, to increase my scope of knowledge on the subject. However, my general knowledge on stuff about NHS is quite poor. I understand bits of it, but I simply don't have enough understanding of politics to give an articulate opinion and I worry that I may embarrass myself.

I was thinking of doing the Extended Project Program (EPQ) and write a dissertation on the history of the NHS and my opinions on it, which would be useful. However I was told that this AS course wastes valuable time. What's your opinion on the EPQ?

In year 12 it's way too early to think about Interviews or UKCAT, focus fully on the exams you will take this summer so you can get the highest predicted grades.

The only thing i would make sure to do this year is your work experience and volunteering, keep relatively up to date with news surrounding the NHS/medicine in general and enjoy yourself.

EPQ is largely useless in my opinion.

Also take the time to the read the wiki in my first post, it will answer most of your questions.
Original post by HopelessMedic
In year 12 it's way too early to think about Interviews or UKCAT, focus fully on the exams you will take this summer so you can get the highest predicted grades.

The only thing i would make sure to do this year is your work experience and volunteering, keep relatively up to date with news surrounding the NHS/medicine in general and enjoy yourself.

EPQ is largely useless in my opinion.

Also take the time to the read the wiki in my first post, it will answer most of your questions.

Thank you, and that link seems to have enough information to answer a majority of my questions :smile: .

I am finding it difficult to get to shadow a surgeon or GP, but I've got an accepted role as an outpatient volunteer at my local hospital. The issue here is it's taking ages to commence! I applied last October and have done the mandatory training sessions last month, yet I haven't done any actual work as a volunteer.
Thank you, and that link seems to have enough information to answer a majority of my questions :smile: .

I am finding it difficult to get to shadow a surgeon or GP, but I've got an accepted role as an outpatient volunteer at my local hospital. The issue here is it's taking ages to commence! I applied last October and have done the mandatory training sessions last month, yet I haven't done any actual work as a volunteer.

Hi Kushala,

I wouldn't worry too much about specifically getting shadowing experience around a surgeon or GP. It's much more important to have experience of volunteering, where you can demonstrate things you have done, key qualities and how these make you a suitable candidate; it's actually more preferable to shadowing because you're only watching other people do things which is not a good indication of how well you could handle yourself.

We recommend that you search for more than one volunteering placement, such as in a care home as well as the volunteering placement you have lined up at your local hospital. You can read more about getting work experience here.

When it comes to standing out at interview and demonstrating general knowledge of the NHS, why don't you start here? We have a summary of the NHS, how it was formed and why it's important, as well as links to hot topics in the news regarding the NHS to help you get an idea of what to look for. We also recently published a piece on 5 books to read for aspiring medics - so you might want to check those out of your local library, if you haven't already!

If you want to know what kinds of questions might come up, we have a free interview question bank (with questions and answer guides) written by successful medical school applicants!

As HopelessMedic noted, it's really too early to start preparing for interviews or the UKCAT (as this is frequently updated). You really only need around 6 weeks to prepare for the UKCAT, so you don't want to run out of questions! Focus on performing well in your exams, getting as much experience as possible (and a variety) so you can rest assured that Medicine is right for you and have the experience to back up why it means so much to you.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi Kushala,

I wouldn't worry too much about specifically getting shadowing experience around a surgeon or GP. It's much more important to have experience of volunteering, where you can demonstrate things you have done, key qualities and how these make you a suitable candidate; it's actually more preferable to shadowing because you're only watching other people do things which is not a good indication of how well you could handle yourself.

We recommend that you search for more than one volunteering placement, such as in a care home as well as the volunteering placement you have lined up at your local hospital. You can read more about getting work experience here.

When it comes to standing out at interview and demonstrating general knowledge of the NHS, why don't you start here? We have a summary of the NHS, how it was formed and why it's important, as well as links to hot topics in the news regarding the NHS to help you get an idea of what to look for. We also recently published a piece on 5 books to read for aspiring medics - so you might want to check those out of your local library, if you haven't already!

If you want to know what kinds of questions might come up, we have a free interview question bank (with questions and answer guides) written by successful medical school applicants!

As HopelessMedic noted, it's really too early to start preparing for interviews or the UKCAT (as this is frequently updated). You really only need around 6 weeks to prepare for the UKCAT, so you don't want to run out of questions! Focus on performing well in your exams, getting as much experience as possible (and a variety) so you can rest assured that Medicine is right for you and have the experience to back up why it means so much to you.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Thank you ever so much! I use your website and I believe that the UKCAT question bank is a godsend!
Thank you ever so much! I use your website and I believe that the UKCAT question bank is a godsend!

Hi Kushala,

You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're finding the UKCAT Question Bank useful. :smile:

Let me know if you have any more questions.

The Medic Portal :smile:
Practise is really the way forward with the UKCAT. Having said that, the normal advise given to students sitting the UKCAT would be to do 2-3 weeks of practise, 4 weeks at most. So you still have a LOT of time before you have to think about this stuff. I would say that the best time to do the UKCAT would probably be around end of July/ early August, simply because it gives you enough time to prepare for it after school finishes and doesn't take up too much of your summer. I would also advise putting off writing your finalised personal statement until you have done the UKCAT, simply because, once you have your UKCAT score you would have a much better idea of what unis you can/ want to apply to because you'll be able to assess your own academics (GCSEs, UKCAT, A level predictions, work experience etc) against each uni criteria and then really tailor your personal statement to those unis.

Personally I'd recommend Medify - they have a question bank online and you can pay for access to these questions for a limited time (I think for two weeks it was £30). I'd also recommend the Kaplan ONLINE course (not the 2 day classroom course) - This is more on the pricey side with the online course costing £170 and the classroom course costing over £300 (I think). But these resources really helped me when I took the UKCAT.
The reason I recommend the online course instead of the classroom course, is not because the latter is bad at preparing you, I just don't think it's particularly worth the extra money because for both you get access to the online resources that they have - and that's what is gonna help you 'master the UKCAT'.

There are also a bunch of current medical students from cambridge, ucl, imperial etc. who offer UKCAT courses online, I think they go by the name 6med (but not too sure), I never used them personally, but they did look like they had good resources and are definitely cheaper than the Kaplan course.

I can almost 100% guarantee that I would not have done nearly as well as I did when I took the UKCAT if I hadn't done these online courses - but again, this only my experience.

Equally, many people perform well without forking out so much money, but I think having that practise with answering questions on a computer as opposed to answering questions from a book really does make a difference. I had friends that used both Medify and the Kaplan course, and friends who only used Medify and they got very similar scores. Because ultimately, the UKCAT really isn't that hard, especially for prospective medical and dental students, but the reason it can be so challenging is because it's time restricted and practising the test online can really help with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending