Turn on thread page Beta

'Prestigious' uni or being near girlfriend? Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedrake)
    Her choices are Greenwich/Sussex - I'm not going to drag her to the nearest uni for my own convenience.
    And yet she's dragging you down to crappy unis in the South for her own convenience.

Unless your preference for Durham/St. Andrews is weak (in which case this thread is pointless), you might want to consider not being a doormat and take advantage of the academic environment you value for yourself.

LDRs are also an option.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Education comes first, you can always go long distance anyway. Make plans and take turns to visit each other.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Psychology for myself and Criminology for her.
    And how does she feel about it?

My recco is to pick the course(s) at the universities that you each prefer the most.

ReputationRep:
    Her choices are Greenwich/Sussex - I'm not going to drag her to the nearest uni for my own convenience.
    But she's going to drag you to the nearest uni for her convenience? Sounds like you both are going to have to make sacrifices, and her rando unis are highly interchangeable for a rando uni up north.

Why doesn't she have a go at Durham criminology? Trust me, its admission practices are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Education comes first, you can always go long distance anyway. Make plans and take turns to visit each other.
    This - there seems to be an air of false choice here

(Original post by Notoriety)
    But she's going to drag you to the nearest uni for her convenience?
    Great minds think alike eh

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, and you're most probably right. I'm just very scared of regretting my decision and not enjoying Sussex/Goldsmiths and being angry at myself for making the wrong decision.
    There ae prestigious unis in the south which you could have applied to. Why were you looking so far away in the first place? Your estimate of journey time is wildly inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    I really believe this choice is down to you. If you both love each other then the distance will be of little concern; she will understand and you will make it work regardless of how difficult it may be. Equally, you have got to pick the right course and University for you. You could be in a situation in the future where you plan your life around one person, picking closer Uni's etc, and then you end up breaking up with your partner... leaving you then wondering why you didn't take academic opportunities elsewhere -- a very similar thing to me happened, and you don't want to have to second guess yourself or think you'd wish you'd done something else. Have a think, talk to people (aside from your girlfriend) about their opinions, visit both Uni's and see where your heart lies. If you're still being torn between all of this, it's because your head is saying to go to a more "prestigious" Uni whilst your heart is saying to stay. Just remember that heartache is short term, but mental regret lasts much longer. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Great minds think alike eh
    I am slowly learning, from watching you, what it takes to be OG. Hope you don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    There ae prestigious unis in the south which you could have applied to. Why were you looking so far away in the first place? Your estimate of journey time is wildly inaccurate.
    The issue with this is that OP has made the mistake, and can't really change his applications/offers to unis of a similar level at this late stage. He's ****ed up. Whereas his gf is likely to have 20 Greenwich-tier unis available to her if she moves closer to the OP through Extra/Clearing. So we come to an interesting case where the mistake and the burden can be disassociated from each other.

ReputationRep:
    Playing devils advocate, say you do choose the university close to your girlfriend and you then split up? You are stuck in a university you didn’t want close to a person you don’t like anymore. Usually I would advise you to follow your heart, in this case be selfish and do what you think is best for you. Education is forever
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Is she facing a similar dilemma to you? It's only fair she is.

It seems like you're worrying about choosing between university and personal life but she isn't?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The issue with this is that OP has made the mistake, and can't really change his applications/offers to unis of a similar level at this late stage. He's ****ed up. Whereas his gf is likely to have 20 Greenwich-tier unis available to her if she moves closer to the OP through Extra/Clearing. So we come to an interesting case where the mistake and the burden can be disassociated from each other.
    OP is also a she.

louisedrake you have the option of universities such as KCL, QMUL, RHUL, Surrey, Bristol, Bath (or similar) via Extra. (UCL appears not to be in Extra.)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by KanyesVest)
    Playing devils advocate, say you do choose the university close to your girlfriend and you then split up? You are stuck in a university you didn’t want close to a person you don’t like anymore. Usually I would advise you to follow your heart, in this case be selfish and do what you think is best for you. Education is forever
    Exactly. I don't think you should go to one close to your girlfriend just because. It should be the uni you're happy at.

What's wrong with trying LDR? It's not like you can't Skype or call each other or you're in different time zones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Say goodbye to your girlfriend. A relationship should never hinder your goals.
    Callous. Maybe she's in love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    OP is also a she.

And has the option of KCL, QMUL, RHUL, Surrey, Bristol, Bath (or similar) via Extra. (UCL appears not to be in Extra.)
    Sorry, you can't presume too much nowadays.

Fair play on those alternatives, even though I don't know how strong these unis are in Psych. The question is ultimately whether the OP should 'fall' (in their view) from Durham/St. A to somewhere like KCL/QMUL as opposed to their gf moving up North. If detriment to OP > detriment to their gf, it should be their gf asking this question.

ReputationRep:
    Forget life, Forget education. Come join the people's Repulic of China and revolt against the evil capitalists in the west
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Sorry, you can't presume too much nowadays.

Fair play on those alternatives, even though I don't know how strong these unis are in Psych. The question is ultimately whether the OP should 'fall' (in their view) from Durham/St. A to somewhere like KCL/QMUL as opposed to their gf moving up North. If detriment to OP > detriment to their gf, it should be their gf asking this question.
    CUG ranks Bath above Durham & StA for Psych, as does Times Good Uni - but yes I 100% agree.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for telling me I've ****ed up! Makes a difficult decision even easier
    Also - I'm a girl. Lesbians exist. Always glad to help someone learn.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't pick those unis for her - they were my choice when I applied a while ago for a different year before I even knew her, so I would never pick a uni just for someone else. Conveniently, Sussex and Goldsmiths are close to her, but that's just coincidence. The education will not vary greatly - it's still uni, Sussex ranks quite well for Psych (in my research, might be a little outdated), but I'm wondering whether the 'prestige' is all it's cracked up to be.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the grades to go to St Andrews or Durham then I think it would be a huge waste of your potential to settle for Goldsmiths or Sussex. I can tell you from my own experience that entry requirements are there for a reason. I met the absolute minimum entry requirements (in Clearing) for my first uni, and found the course quite easy. I felt like most people on the course were on the same academic level as me or maybe just below me i.e had the same questions, struggled with the same topics etc. I transferred to another uni in second year and I definitely didn't meet the standard A Level entry requirements. I'm doing the exact same course, but I feel standards are slightly higher at this university i.e students ask much more challenging questions and overall the content seems a lot more difficult than what I would have been studying at my first uni. However, I do enjoy it because I find it much more stimulating than the course at my first uni.

What I'm trying to say is that X course at Goldsmiths is not taught in the same way as X course at Durham or St Andrews. Each university tailors the course to their average student. Yes, the degree is more or less to the same standard and you learn the same essential/core topics, but a course where the average A Level grades are CCC won't be taught the same way as a course where the average student already has an A* in the subject at A Level.
    I don't think you'll enjoy your course knowing that you had an opportunity to study with people on the same level as you and to live up to your full potential. Also it would probably be healthy for you to move away from your girlfriend anyway and create a social life of your own, after doing everything together for the last 2 years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.