Turn on thread page Beta

'Prestigious' uni or being near girlfriend? Help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedrake)
    I didn't pick those unis for her - they were my choice when I applied a while ago for a different year before I even knew her, so I would never pick a uni just for someone else. Conveniently, Sussex and Goldsmiths are close to her, but that's just coincidence. The education will not vary greatly - it's still uni, Sussex ranks quite well for Psych (in my research, might be a little outdated), but I'm wondering whether the 'prestige' is all it's cracked up to be.
    i made st andrews my firm and durham my insurance, and couldn't recommend st andrews enough. you can have more nightlife at other unis, but the st andrews experience is truly unique.

the truth about prestige is this. most employers won't care about your uni if you have the right experience. for instance someone who had a really specific degree or relevant work experience will be chosen even if they went to a crap uni. BUT the prestige element is really important - going to st andrews really opens doors, i cant tell you how many job interviews i've done where the employer has practically drooled over my uni and been like "ahh, st andrews. very top uni".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    i cant tell you how many job interviews i've done where the employer has practically drooled over my uni and been like "ahh, st andrews. very top uni".
    In which sector?

Or you could still be trolling I guess

ReputationRep:
    i made st andrews my firm and durham my insurance, and couldn't recommend st andrews enough. you can have more nightlife at other unis, but the st andrews experience is truly unique.

the truth about prestige is this. most employers won't care about your uni if you have the right experience. for instance someone who had a really specific degree or relevant work experience will be chosen even if they went to a crap uni. BUT the prestige element is really important - going to st andrews really opens doors, i cant tell you how many job interviews i've done where the employer has practically drooled over my uni and been like "ahh, st andrews. very top uni".
    To be honest with you, if you have an employer who is so impressed by a St Andrews degree, you really should be aiming for better firms. It suggests a lack of dynamism in the firm/your interviewer not meeting very many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    To be honest with you, if you have an employer who is so impressed by a St Andrews degree, you really should be aiming for better firms. It suggests a lack of dynamism in the firm/your interviewer not meeting very many people.
    Or they could have been interviewing at one of those West End private client solicitor boutiques where everyone's name is Ronald or Chumley

or one of those old merchant banks but they've been gobbled up by the Americans >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedrake)
    Self explanatory title, subject is Psychology.

I have visited Sussex and Goldsmiths and like them - but don't LOVE them. St A's and Durham more fit my 'goal' of a 'prestigious' uni, but...
    it would mean living 2+ hours (at least) away from my girlfriend, who I have lived with full-time for 2 years.
    Of course I care about my education, and we would stay together no matter what uni, but I know it will be horrible leaving my best friend and support system for 3/4 years.
    If I go to Sussex/Goldsmiths we would be able to live together, the same as we are now, but I can't help feeling like I'm giving up a chance of a 'better' uni and I'm drawn to their reputation etc.

Please no hateful comments etc, I really am under so much stress from this decision and any advice would be good.

EDIT: the amount of hours doesn't matter, and if I went to Durham/St. A she would be in London, so around 2/3 hours. But again... not the important part of this question.
    Go to the prestigious uni but don’t break up with your girlfriend... two hours isn’t too long of a trip to take at the weekends and if you have the choice to go into a better uni, why not do it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    maybe you misread my post because i said the COMPLETE opposite! my office is full of people from mediocre universities because they had very relevant experience or degree. but my employers were nonetheless impressed with with st andrews name and ive had that in many interviews, almost all of them make a comment
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    or one of those old merchant banks but they've been gobbled up by the Americans >
    And therefore have a penchant for StA grads...

ReputationRep:
    In which sector?

Or you could still be trolling I guess

would be a boring thing to troll with...

PR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    And therefore have a penchant for StA grads...
    Ah **** I finally got the St.A's reference

Damn Americans eating up the City

ReputationRep:
    maybe you misread my post because i said the COMPLETE opposite! my office is full of people from mediocre universities because they had very relevant experience or degree. but my employers were nonetheless impressed with with st andrews name and ive had that in many interviews, almost all of them make a comment
    Name the sector or we assume that you're working for a debt collector in Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    Name the sector or we assume that you're working for a debt collector in Liverpool
    i just did name the sector... i said it was PR

specifically healthcare/pharma PR

ReputationRep:
    Or they could have been interviewing at one of those West End private client solicitor boutiques where everyone's name is Ronald or Chumley

Aye, Hugo, Ronald and Chumley might like their pals to have St Andies degrees. But "practically drooled" over a St Andies degree? That suggests they've never seen one before, rather than having an Old Boy bias. I would cringe into another dimension if an interviewer showed such a lack of sophistication by squirting over their interviewee not having attended an ex-poly.

Well, if they literally squirted, I might have stuck around for a little bit before entering into that new plane.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciated that. I am saying that means you should have aimed higher.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciated that. I am saying that means you should have aimed higher.
    aimed higher in what sense.... i'm perfectly happy with my 'graduate' job at this stage in my life

ReputationRep:
    Wait girlfriend? Are you a female yourself judging by your profile picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigerianprince42)
    Forget life, Forget education. Come join the people's Repulic of China and revolt against the evil capitalists in the west
    I'm sorry but Emperor-designate His Excellency The President Dr Xi Jinping holds a doctorate from Tsinghua University, and the Prime Minister Dr Li has a doctorate from Peking University - both esquires, so she'd be utterly unqualified for Mother China.

Even the other Republic of China has a head, Her Excellency The President Professor Tsai, that has a doctorate from the LSE and was a full professor at Taiwan's most prestigious university. In fact, all Top 4 presidential candidates hold a doctorate (not honorary).

Even the lowly Chief Executive of Hong Kong attended Cambridge, and Dr Chui, Chief Executive of Macau, holds a doctorate from Oklahoma and was a guest professor.

If you go all the way to Singapore Special Administrative Region, you see the president Dr Halimah Yacob with 2 degrees from NUS, currently the No 11 university in the world. And her predecessor, the Chinese Dr Tony Tan, was a university academic-turn-banker. Its prime minister does not have a doctorate, but he read his undergrad in mathematics at Cambridge with first-class honours and a certificate that's equivalent to an MSc in computer science, before completing an MFA at Harvard.

#NotGoodEnough #OxbridgeOrNoChinaForYou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Its prime minister does not have a doctorate, but he read his undergrad in mathematics at Cambridge with first-class honours and a certificate that's equivalent to an MSc in computer science, before completing an MFA at Harvard.
    To be clear, he was the senior wrangler. That's infinitely more impressive than a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    To be clear, he was the senior wrangler. That's infinitely more impressive than a PhD.
    See? OP would be way too underqualified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oaklasaurus)
    Look, i'm in the same boat as you here. I haven't been with my boyfriend for as long as you with your girlfriend, or lived with him, but I have the option of Exeter which is very much in my comfort zone - 1.5hrs away from my parents/other family, I used to live in Exeter, I have friends around and family friends who could take me in in an emergency.
    Or I can go to Southampton. Which seems like the perfect course for me.

As horrible as it is, people do say to prioritize your education. But I struggle to make new friends and get to know people (which I put down to anxiety :s).

But at the same time, if you're not going to be happy, don't do it. Not going to a prestigious uni isn't the end of the world! You can always (if it's in your bigger plans) transfer if you need to, or you can do a PhD at another university. It's not the end of the world if you make what you might feel in a year's time is the "wrong" choice.

I've always lived my life by going through pros and cons and what's logical, and I genuinely believe that I have some sort of natural intuition about where I should go and what I should do, I've had this with a lot of my academic choices so far, and none of them have turned out to be bad choices. If I was to go with this still, I'd be at Exeter.

Sorry if this is very rambling-y, I'm really bad at phrasing what I want to say. I just wish you good luck in whatever you choose, and please remember it's not too late to change your mind after you apply there. Sure it's a hassle, but not the end of the world.
    thank you for taking the time to reply, you've actually helped me out a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taz554:-))
    deffo not being hateful, just curious!!
    ..yep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.