Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do I become a chartered engineer and what qualifications do I need?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by LucyFox54)
    What stage are you at currently? Still at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The minimum is now a M.Eng. or M.Sc. degree in engineering from a university course accredited by the relevant Royal Institution. (IMechE, IET, RAeS etc.) It's vital you check that the degree is accredited from the start.

In addition, the applicant will need to have completed an accredited (peer reviewed) training programme usually lasting 2 to 4 years post graduate as well as an elevated level of professional competence and experience gained within industry (another 2 to 4 years). i.e. from starting the degree programme, it can take at least 10 years to fully qualify. That duration is dependent on the engineers career path, promotion to a position of responsibility as well as experience gained in a management role (team leading), with commercial and financial responsibility.

Finally, the applicant will need four referees (all chartered) to propose them for election to CEng. This is then followed by a final peer interview executed by two chartered engineers together with a chairperson. Together they determine whether the applicant meets the educational, training and professional experience requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    What stage are you at currently? Still at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes i am in sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    The minimum is now a M.Eng. or M.Sc. degree in engineering from a university course accredited by the relevant Royal Institution. (IMechE, IET, RAeS etc.) It's vital you check that the degree is accredited from the start.

In addition, the applicant will need to have completed an accredited (peer reviewed) training programme usually lasting 2 to 4 years post graduate as well as an elevated level of professional competence and experience gained within industry (another 2 to 4 years). i.e. from starting the degree programme, it can take at least 10 years to fully qualify. That duration is dependent on the engineers career path, promotion to a position of responsibility as well as experience gained in a management role (team leading), with commercial and financial responsibility.

Finally, the applicant will need four referees (all chartered) to propose them for election to CEng. This is then followed by a final peer interview executed by two chartered engineers together with a chairperson. Together they determine whether the applicant meets the educational, training and professional experience requirements.

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    M.Eng in an accredited engineering degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    M.Eng in an accredited engineering degree.
    Not necessarily, although it usually is.

The accreditation is entirely separate to the degree. It's always best to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, although it usually is.

The accreditation is entirely separate to the degree. It's always best to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do i check?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How do i check?
    Usually the university will say if a course is accredited, and who by, on their course info pages.

Or http://www.engc.org.uk/education-ski...course-search/

(but it's a bit tricky to use...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Usually the university will say if a course is accredited, and who by, on their course info pages.

Or http://www.engc.org.uk/education-ski...course-search/

(but it's a bit tricky to use...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.