Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have been accepted on a masters course, to start October 2018. I submitted an open application (didn’t choose a college) as I will be living with my partner in a town close by and commuting in.

I’ve since read about how the college defines your experience and am now kicking myself. If I don’t need accommodation, how much time will I spend at my college? Is there such thing as a bad/unattractive one? How far out are the furthest ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katepower)
    Hi all,

I have been accepted on a masters course, to start October 2018. I submitted an open application (didn’t choose a college) as I will be living with my partner in a town close by and commuting in.

I’ve since read about how the college defines your experience and am now kicking myself. If I don’t need accommodation, how much time will I spend at my college? Is there such thing as a bad/unattractive one? How far out are the furthest ones?
    Congratulations! The "college defining your experience" applies, as you might expect, primarily to undergraduates, who are usually leaving home for the first time and who will be living in college for most, or all, of their 3/4 years. In addition, although their lectures and most teaching will take place through their (centralised) Department, they will also have a college tutor who is overseeing their 3 years and this may affect with whom they have their weekly tutorials.

Your situation is very different. First, you have chosen to live out, so it's quite possible that the only regular contact you will have with your college will be when you decide to attend for Hall, MCR socials and so on. Some postgrads complete a year's Masters course and hardly cross the threshold of their college the whole time. Second, your tutorials may be organised by the Department rather via the college tutor (how true this is, and how important tutorials are for you will depend on your subject). In effect, you will decide how big a part your college will play in your life, but it is quite difficult to reproduce the intensity of UG college life when you're a PG - especially if you live out.

My strong impression is that college preferences for Master's applicants is taken less seriously than UG applicants. You get put where they can fit you in, so even if you had applied to a named college, I'm not sure how far this would have affected your destination.

Finally, the fuss some people make about how far some colleges are from the centre is absurd. I think St Hugh's and Wolfson are the most distant, and neither is more than 15-20 minutes walk from the centre of town

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.