Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone !

I'm a french student from Marseille, and I got 5 offers from english universities ! I'm having some issues : it'll be difficult for me to visit all 5 universities, so I'd like you know if you could help me sorting them.

The offers I got are from Exeter, Manchester, Leeds, Lancaster, and Birmingham. I asked for the same course everywhere : Mathematics G100. Exeter and Manchester gave me the exact same offer (the most difficult one, but I can probably get it with a bit of work), then it's Lancaster, Leeds and Birmingham (in order of difficulty).

I'll definitely go and visit Manchester and Exeter. The thing is that I don't really have a "type" of city, I can be happy pretty much everywhere; I can adapt quite easily. Which is why I'm asking you to help me : which of these universities are the most reputed (league tables don't really seem to be reliable, each of them are really different..), have the best accomodation, facilities... Any experience, opinion or fact will be welcomed !!! Thanks a lot !

Matteo
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    While they're in the process of revamping their undergraduate course, I'd definitely say Maths is one of the weaker departments at Exeter (having studied Engineering there, with which it shares a building - and several lecturers who were not...impressive teachers, I have to say). I'm not sure how Leeds fare for Maths really, but Birmingham seems good, especially if you're interested in applied mathematics and theoretical physics. Manchester is in general quite well regarded, and particularly for STEM subjects, but I'm not aware of how their Maths department specifically is.

In general I'd suggest Manchester/Birmingham are the most "interesting" that you may wish to investigate further, and Leeds may well be too. Exeter seems to be making some improvements to their Maths course, but CEMPS on the whole has been a mixed bag for a while now. Lancaster I'd recommend looking to see what other past students there have thought. I'd not say it was particularly reputable/renowned for the course though (and in general) although this doesn't necessarily mean much.

Spoiler:
    Show

If you wanted to apply to the GE's after then I think Birmingham would be the best bet though in terms of course content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matteomiannay)
    Hi everyone !

I'm a french student from Marseille, and I got 5 offers from english universities ! I'm having some issues : it'll be difficult for me to visit all 5 universities, so I'd like you know if you could help me sorting them.

The offers I got are from Exeter, Manchester, Leeds, Lancaster, and Birmingham. I asked for the same course everywhere : Mathematics G100. Exeter and Manchester gave me the exact same offer (the most difficult one, but I can probably get it with a bit of work), then it's Lancaster, Leeds and Birmingham (in order of difficulty).

I'll definitely go and visit Manchester and Exeter. The thing is that I don't really have a "type" of city, I can be happy pretty much everywhere; I can adapt quite easily. Which is why I'm asking you to help me : which of these universities are the most reputed (league tables don't really seem to be reliable, each of them are really different..), have the best accomodation, facilities... Any experience, opinion or fact will be welcomed !!! Thanks a lot !

Matteo
    You did not found an alternative in France?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi everyone !

Matteo
    On a practical level if you are making a trip to Manchester, then come for a few days. Stay in a youth hostel and you can visit Manchester, Lancaster and Leeds. They arent that far apart.

You could do Birmingham and Exeter on another trip.

Just a walk round the campus gets you a feel for the place and you can sometimes arrange for a student to show you around or to meet a lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    On purely a prestige level Manchester is the best. STEM is one of their strengths + more widely recognised internationally vs other unis.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone !

Matteo
    As noted elsewhere Leeds, Manchester and Lancaster are pretty close - if you stayed in Manchester you could easily visit the other two. I think Exeter would be a lot more expensive to live.

Exeter and Lancaster are also much smaller towns which may or may not suit.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.