Turn on thread page Beta

Decision making for path into Medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Please help...I'm a mature student with no highers or previous degree and am currently on a swap course which is a Scottish course covering scottish highers in certain subjects with progression paths onto uni. I'm expected to pass with three As for maths biology and chemistry but the assessments are internal not external exam like high school students take....however...I now have several options to get into medicine and looking for advice..maybe you've experienced the same situation?

Option 1: Opt to do a degree for the next 4 years and apply to graduate entry medicine which is a further 4 year course and also apply to a couple of the 5 year standard medicine degrees as a graduate entrant (different entry requirements from graduate entry Medicine!). This path takes 8 or 9 years in total. The medicine degree will be at a cost to me so use my student loans and scholarships to pay for the 2nd degree. But this path gives me more flexibility, it's closer to home and would give me more options for getting into medicine once my first degree is completed. I have offers already, my preference being at University of Edinburgh for medical science.

Option 2: Opt to go on an access to Medicine course I've just been offered a place on, which is 1 year at glasgow college. This is an extremely competitive and challenging course which allows for direct entry into Glasgow and possibly Aberdeen for Medicine degree - no other degree or qualifications required. The course requires 3 to 4 days a week at glasgow which is a 90 mile return journey, 80% pass first time on all assignments and scqf level 7 and 8 chemistry and biology which is year 1 and 2 university modules ...so hard work. I'm completely confident in my ability to achieve but if I don't, I cannot apply for the medicine degree and end up having to reapply for other science based degrees as I have done this year and attempt entry to medicine via option 1. The upside is this path qualifies me as a doctor in 6 years all being well, if I get into Aberdeen or Glasgow next year. I wouldn't have to pay for my degree. And It would save me Doing additional highers on top of a degree to get into scottish graduate entry medicine like I'd have to do on option 1...

Help!!! Is the longer more flexible path, however more financially straining the one to pick ? Or the shorter, financially secure but more challenging path the one - bearing in mind that rejection from Glasgow and Aberdeen puts me right back at option 1 anyway.... What's a girl to do .... so many options !!

*I have a family (2 kids, 8 months old and 12 years) so cannot relocate to English options*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody2408)
    Please help...I'm a mature student with no highers or previous degree and am currently on a swap course which is a Scottish course covering scottish highers in certain subjects with progression paths onto uni. I'm expected to pass with three As for maths biology and chemistry but the assessments are internal not external exam like high school students take....however...I now have several options to get into medicine and looking for advice..maybe you've experienced the same situation?

Option 1: Opt to do a degree for the next 4 years and apply to graduate entry medicine which is a further 4 year course and also apply to a couple of the 5 year standard medicine degrees as a graduate entrant (different entry requirements from graduate entry Medicine!). This path takes 8 or 9 years in total. The medicine degree will be at a cost to me so use my student loans and scholarships to pay for the 2nd degree. But this path gives me more flexibility, it's closer to home and would give me more options for getting into medicine once my first degree is completed. I have offers already, my preference being at University of Edinburgh for medical science.

Option 2: Opt to go on an access to Medicine course I've just been offered a place on, which is 1 year at glasgow college. This is an extremely competitive and challenging course which allows for direct entry into Glasgow and possibly Aberdeen for Medicine degree - no other degree or qualifications required. The course requires 3 to 4 days a week at glasgow which is a 90 mile return journey, 80% pass first time on all assignments and scqf level 7 and 8 chemistry and biology which is year 1 and 2 university modules ...so hard work. I'm completely confident in my ability to achieve but if I don't, I cannot apply for the medicine degree and end up having to reapply for other science based degrees as I have done this year and attempt entry to medicine via option 1. The upside is this path qualifies me as a doctor in 6 years all being well, if I get into Aberdeen or Glasgow next year. I wouldn't have to pay for my degree. And It would save me Doing additional highers on top of a degree to get into scottish graduate entry medicine like I'd have to do on option 1...

Help!!! Is the longer more flexible path, however more financially straining the one to pick ? Or the shorter, financially secure but more challenging path the one - bearing in mind that rejection from Glasgow and Aberdeen puts me right back at option 1 anyway.... What's a girl to do .... so many options !!

*I have a family (2 kids, 8 months old and 12 years) so cannot relocate to English options*
    Going through GEM is a financial strain as well, people struggle with finances, especially if they're having to fund the undergraduate course. I'm sure there are quite a few medical students on here who have done it if you want their advice and honest experiences.

If I were you I would go for the Access to Medicine course. You'll have more financial support through SFE for your degree (as far as I'm aware), and you have a slightly faster route. I don't know how competitive it is getting in through access vs GEM.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. GEM in Scotland is very new, introduced only this year. It's called scotGEM. Its focus is heavily on rural GP work but I believe it is funded too. However, it's so new that it doesn't have final approval from gmc yet!! St andrews/Dundee are running it and it is hoped to be sorted by the end of the first cohort of graduates but they may introduce another test alongside it plus you still need, on top of your degree, to do Scottish highers which would mean more courses.

I think you're right in that the access course is the way to go. I just need to suck up the commute and fully commit to being the best and with hard work hope it pays off...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody2408)
    Thank you for your reply. GEM in Scotland is very new, introduced only this year. It's called scotGEM. Its focus is heavily on rural GP work but I believe it is funded too. However, it's so new that it doesn't have final approval from gmc yet!! St andrews/Dundee are running it and it is hoped to be sorted by the end of the first cohort of graduates but they may introduce another test alongside it plus you still need, on top of your degree, to do Scottish highers which would mean more courses.

I think you're right in that the access course is the way to go. I just need to suck up the commute and fully commit to being the best and with hard work hope it pays off...
    Ah yes I didn’t think about Scotland having different funding!

Good luck, whatever you choose you’ll end up doing what you want to do!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.