Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a big dilemma.I’m a 17 year old student about to turn 18 and in my final year of A levels.
    Ever since I was a child my parents have always pushed me to picking academic subjects because they were the “right” choice.
    My A levels are Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I seriously learnt in the past 2 years I have no passion for my A levels, like at all. Im not even motivated enough to revise for my exams. The only reason I chose them is because I got As and A*s for them in GCSEs and once again, my family told me they were the “safest option”..... I was 15 at the time and didnt realise my options were unlimited.
    But I just cant see myself doing anything science related for another 3/4 years because my heart is just not into it and I dont want to waste my time and my money for a course I don’t enjoy.
    So I have decided to take a gap year to see where time will take me cause at this point Im just confused and overwhelmed with existential dread. Ive always been passionate about drama even though I’ve barely had any experience except for a couple of plays that I did in primary school, but it has never stopped me from wanting to pursue a career in acting , and for the past year I’ve been contemplating about applying to Drama School during my gap year but i feel like my parents are not going to support me.so I don’t know what to do at this point? Would I make a stupid decision if I choose to apply to drama school instead of going to university ?Is it too late for me to switch directions and does this mean i have wasted 2 years..?And do a levels matter when applying to drama school?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.mihova)
    I have a big dilemma.I’m a 17 year old student about to turn 18 and in my final year of A levels.
    Ever since I was a child my parents have always pushed me to picking academic subjects because they were the “right” choice.
    My A levels are Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I seriously learnt in the past 2 years I have no passion for my A levels, like at all. Im not even motivated enough to revise for my exams. The only reason I chose them is because I got As and A*s for them in GCSEs and once again, my family told me they were the “safest option”..... I was 15 at the time and didnt realise my options were unlimited.
    But I just cant see myself doing anything science related for another 3/4 years because my heart is just not into it and I dont want to waste my time and my money for a course I don’t enjoy.
    So I have decided to take a gap year to see where time will take me cause at this point Im just confused and overwhelmed with existential dread. Ive always been passionate about drama even though I’ve barely had any experience except for a couple of plays that I did in primary school, but it has never stopped me from wanting to pursue a career in acting , and for the past year I’ve been contemplating about applying to Drama School during my gap year but i feel like my parents are not going to support me.so I don’t know what to do at this point? Would I make a stupid decision if I choose to apply to drama school instead of going to university ?Is it too late for me to switch directions and does this mean i have wasted 2 years..?And do a levels matter when applying to drama school?
    Hi, yes A levels do matter to get into drama school. Although most don’t ask for high grades it’s always good to get the best possible grades you can as it will open more doors in life and you never know when you might want to change direction.
    I think gap years are always a good idea when you can’t decide what you want to do. Most of my friends took them but I was lucky and got offers at drama schools straight from college. You could join a theatre group and get more experience and have a look at some foundation acting courses too. Some of these are geared to helping people decide if a full 3 year commitment is for them. Alternatively you may decide to do a university degree and then apply for an MA at drama school later. Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.