Turn on thread page Beta

I am in year 10, going into year 11 soon. I'm aiming for, and predicted, all 7, 8's and 9's. I got my physics test back, I got a 5. I got my English test back, got a 5. Business, my 'proclaimed' favourite subject, I got a 6. History, my 'easiest' subject, a 6. This isn't becoming a one off 'bad test' day... it keeps happening. I come from a family that expect me to get 10 7/8's, and I want the results more than anything. But I'm scared now; it keeps happening. I revise and I ask when I don't understand something, but I don't know what's happening. Anyone been in a similar position? It's like i'm stuck in a rut. I just don't know what to do.

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am in year 10, going into year 11 soon. I'm aiming for, and predicted, all 7, 8's and 9's. I got my physics test back, I got a 5. I got my English test back, got a 5. Business, my 'proclaimed' favourite subject, I got a 6. History, my 'easiest' subject, a 6. This isn't becoming a one off 'bad test' day... it keeps happening. I come from a family that expect me to get 10 7/8's, and I want the results more than anything. But I'm scared now; it keeps happening. I revise and I ask when I don't understand something, but I don't know what's happening. Anyone been in a similar position? It's like i'm stuck in a rut. I just don't know what to do.

Take the mocks and learn from them. Go through it with your teacher. Understand where you lost marks and why. Shape your revision with this in mind. Don't give up as there is time to improve.

Going through year 10 and 11 I found that the mocks were a lot harder than the actual exams. In the mocks I came out with C’s and a couple of B’s and in the actual exams with mostly A’s. After I got my mock results I was really demotivated but as you get closer to the end of year 11 you will realise the importance of the exams and revise and work a lot more. Also your school will probably give more support to year 11’s than year 10’s during the exam period.

Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by owen1072)
    Going through year 10 and 11 I found that the mocks were a lot harder than the actual exams. In the mocks I came out with C’s and a couple of B’s and in the actual exams with mostly A’s. After I got my mock results I was really demotivated but as you get closer to the end of year 11 you will realise the importance of the exams and revise and work a lot more. Also your school will probably give more support to year 11’s than year 10’s during the exam period.

Good luck!
    That was really helpful. May I ask what GCSE results you came out with? It seems you were in the exact same scenario as I am in currently aha! Thanks.

That was really helpful. May I ask what GCSE results you came out with? It seems you were in the exact same scenario as I am in currently aha! Thanks.
    Yes, I came out with A’s in the 3 sciences, A in computer science and business, A* in maths, B in PRE, B in English Lang and C in English lit and a D in catering.

Just so you know I started revising in January of the year of the exams but I only did the subjects I needed to do well in for my a levels. Then closer to the time, like 2 months before the exams I started revising the subjects that I wasn’t so interested in.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just try your best! Plus you have got awhile until your year 11 :dancing::nyan:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same year as well and the pressure is incredibly high too for me, especially when the majority of my family tree have at least one university degree. The advice I got given was to learn all the content first in school and consistently revise with a timetable you create yourself. Also apparently GCSEs are nothing compared to A levels and University I got told.

ReputationRep:
    I did the 9-1 exams in 2017, and trust me in Y10 I was in your situation, besides Maths, I got 5-6 and maybe the odd 7 in Eng Lit/Eng Lang, but the thing is in Y10 they don't expect you to be banging out high levels of work, I developed over time, and by GCSEs I was confident about my technique and came out with good results.

If you need any help or any questions, just ask.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador

If you need any help with History feel free to PM me. Btw, you'll be fine, you learn by making mistakes and you still have time to improve these grades.

ReputationRep:
    The two most powerful warriors, are patience and time.

(Original post by AryanGh)
    I did the 9-1 exams in 2017, and trust me in Y10 I was in your situation, besides Maths, I got 5-6 and maybe the odd 7 in Eng Lit/Eng Lang, but the thing is in Y10 they don't expect you to be banging out high levels of work, I developed over time, and by GCSEs I was confident about my technique and came out with good results.

If you need any help or any questions, just ask.
    Thanks, I will do!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.