Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend thinks my hobbies are boring? watch

Announcements

I'm into very nerdy stuff like classical opera and ballet. I don't like going clubbing or to pubs because I'm a teetotaller but my boyfriend thinks that makes me boring. He always is persuading me to drink even when I told him that my brother was an alcoholic so that gave me a bad experience of alcohol. I always suggest alternative non-alcoholic things we can do like coffee shops or going to see the movies but he says that drinking is fun and me not drinking makes me boring. How do I make him understand that alcohol disgusts me and I simply do not want to drink it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm into very nerdy stuff like classical opera and ballet. I don't like going clubbing or to pubs because I'm a teetotaller but my boyfriend thinks that makes me boring. He always is persuading me to drink even when I told him that my brother was an alcoholic so that gave me a bad experience of alcohol. I always suggest alternative non-alcoholic things we can do like coffee shops or going to see the movies but he says that drinking is fun and me not drinking makes me boring. How do I make him understand that alcohol disgusts me and I simply do not want to drink it?
    Dump him then. Your lifestyles are completely different and he's pressuring you to do things you don't want to do. I don't see why you'd want to stay with him at all; you clearly don't have much in common and he shouldn't be pressuring you to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the broader underpinning question is why is he your boyfriend if he is trying to change you and doesn’t relish you as you are?

Just my 2c worth
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Opera and dance isn't boring lmao. I myself like dancing (not ballet though)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Given that your brother is an alcoholic, he should be a bit more understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Break up. Your lifestyles clearly don’t match up and u need to find someone that’ll be okay w you not drinking alcohol n all that. Not drinking doesn’t make you boring, it’s your choice and if he can’t respect that he isn’t good enough for you.

ReputationRep:
    It’s perfectly healthy to have different interests but when your partner starts pressuring you into doing something you l don’t want to do then it becomes a problem.

I don’t think there’s much more you can do to show him you’re not comfortable drinking and the fact that he still persists means that he’s not worth the time. I have to agree with previous posters and say dump him.

Also, is ballet and classical opera nerdy?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry but what kind of bf is he? He needs to accept that you arent into certain things and your lifestyle is much different from his.

ReputationRep:
    Was expecting your hobbies to be something more like doing maths for fun

Don’t ever mention ballet to a man. This said going out for drinks is normal at all ages and isn’t a sign of a dissolute character. Go and get a drink, or something non-alcoholic if you really must. It’s not even a hobby

ReputationRep:
    I would also find those hobbies boring but that doesn't mean you are boring for liking them. Simce he has been pushing for you to drink it sounds like he doesn't really care about who you are or he would respect that.

ReputationRep:
    Dump the tosser

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of him. He doesn't respect you if he's trying to pressure you to drink when you don't want to and calling your hobbies boring. Find a guy who likes you for you instead of trying to change you.

PS. You're not boring if you don't like going out clubbing and drinking. I don't drink either and I'm heaps and bounds of fun!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You don't have common interests, that's grounds for breaking up.

These are the things a couple could clear up before getting together. He probably doesn't want to be "that guy" who does the breaking up.

ReputationRep:
    he seems to be an arse and disrespectful of you, is the relationship really good for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer_Refresh)
    Dump the tosser
    Rather sexist comment. Could just as well ask why she's choosing to go out with someone she has nothing in common with in the first place. He should dump her! She's just as much a tosser!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassapple)
    dump him then. Your lifestyles are completely different and he's pressuring you to do things you don't want to do. I don't see why you'd want to stay with him at all; you clearly don't have much in common and he shouldn't be pressuring you to do anything.
    strong logic son
    just because he doesn't like her hobbies does not mean she should dump him.
    I can tell you are a liberal

ReputationRep:
    Can't he just go out drinking with his friends instead?

Not drinking doesn't mean you have to stay home though. If it's a case of him wanting to go to a pub you can always order non-alcoholic drinks i.e. virgin cocktails (they're amazing). Just make sure you order all your own drinks if he's being pushy about it to make sure there definitely isn't alcohol in them.

ReputationRep:
    He should not be trying to do that to you, especially because of your brother, that’s pretty damn insensitive and bad of him. Yeah it’s absolutely fine to have different interests in a relationship absolutely but no one should make the other feel bad or stupid for something they love. He doesn’t sound right for you. Never compromise who you are for anybody, if you do you’ll never be truly you and life’s just too short for that

ReputationRep:
    He needs a reality check...If he's so in need of drinking alcohol and pressuring you to follow him then clearly he's the one with issues. You certainly do not require a substance to have a good time? I myself am teetotal and have been all my life. I've been clubbing (more so salsa bars) and had tons of fun without the need for a drink - ''Drinking is fun'' DEAD. He clearly has no respect for you, so like other posters have mentioned its wise to break up and move on. There are people in this world who will appreciate you for you and respect where you are coming from. And not make fun of you because your interests or because you do not seek to put poison in your system. People fail to realise one thing in relationships...If this person does not present themselves as a friend which supports you and encourages you to go far then how on earth are they meant to be any good at being in a relationship with you?

''Your flaws are perfect, for the heart that is meant to love you.'' The only direction in life that matters is forwards, never backwards. So ''hangers on'' like him should be left behind as you could be a train going 1000 mph and he's trying to hold you back because he ain't going anywhere...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.