Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend thinks my hobbies are boring? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm into very nerdy stuff like classical opera and ballet. I don't like going clubbing or to pubs because I'm a teetotaller but my boyfriend thinks that makes me boring. He always is persuading me to drink even when I told him that my brother was an alcoholic so that gave me a bad experience of alcohol. I always suggest alternative non-alcoholic things we can do like coffee shops or going to see the movies but he says that drinking is fun and me not drinking makes me boring. How do I make him understand that alcohol disgusts me and I simply do not want to drink it?
    Girl, this is so sad, I'm sorry to hear! You deserve your bf to love you as you are and do things together that you both enjoy, and not force his lifestyle onto you or try to change you! Good on you for sticking to doing what you truly like and not pleasing others tho <3 Communication is key in relationships, have you had a proper chat with him and told him that you don't wanna go out drinking and why you don't like it? Have you asked him out to do things the two of you would enjoy? If he's not understanding, he's not the one for you, you deserve someone who you can be yourself with!

'Dump him/her' as if they're talking about food.

ReputationRep:
    Either you date someone with a similar lifestyle to you that you can share or you date someone with a different lifestyle that you’d like to step into. You cant date someone with a lifestyle you dont want, it wont end well and its best to save your time and energy.

ReputationRep:
    People who think you can't have fun without alcohol are normally the boring ones

(Original post by Zxyn)
    Either you date someone with a similar lifestyle to you that you can share or you date someone with a different lifestyle that you’d like to step into. You cant date someone with a lifestyle you dont want, it wont end well and its best to save your time and energy.
    I didnt think that alcohol is such a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm into very nerdy stuff like classical opera and ballet. I don't like going clubbing or to pubs because I'm a teetotaller but my boyfriend thinks that makes me boring. He always is persuading me to drink even when I told him that my brother was an alcoholic so that gave me a bad experience of alcohol. I always suggest alternative non-alcoholic things we can do like coffee shops or going to see the movies but he says that drinking is fun and me not drinking makes me boring. How do I make him understand that alcohol disgusts me and I simply do not want to drink it?
    Listen up girl, Firstly a man who does not respect your talents and interest, calls them boring and imposes his so-called "cool things", Girl your hobbies are not something that should be treated like trash, it is really rare for people to be into classical music, but that is what interests you and you enjoy it. Please DON'T GIVE THEM UP BECAUSE OF SOMEONE. Girl just don't.
    Secondly, call me boring or not but my liver is kinda important to me soo.
    Please enjoy your life, you only got one.

ReputationRep:
    Delete him

ReputationRep:
    Got a question for you what do you like about him?

Why ask the question ? Are you looking to get support to break up or find something in common with the guy?

What do you have in common with him ?

You can see what people are saying but is that what you want to hear ?

Use the Force
    The Last Jedi

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the stuff your into is nerdy and even if it was, so what?

I would end this relationship because he doesn't sound very considerate at all.

Being a drunk is boring, embarrassing and not clever, you're too bright to put up with this.

ReputationRep:
    dump him...if he thinks you hobbies are boring, then he is rude and thinks you are boring, then he's not for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.