Uncomfortable about talking to Mum about boys Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am now 16, and feel ready for a relationship (I’m a girl btw). I really want a boyfriend, but my mums quite an overprotective mum so I’m not sure how she’d feel about a boy in my room etc (she would let me but it would be awkward the first time they came round just going up to my room). Do I ask her if we can go upstairs or do we just go upstairs? Also my sister was cheated on by a boy my age, so I think this will make her not trust them. So how do I start speaking to her about boys, and eventually when I get a boyfriend how do I tell her? We are close but not in the relationships aspect, and I feel quite uncomfortable talking about it. Advice from people with the same situation would be extremely helpful!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Em395
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mothers' being protective is not a bad thing, because if anything goes wrong you know she'll be there for you.
I remember when my sister (younger twin) was in a relationship and the guy tried to cheat on her with me, she lost her confidence around boys, but we kept talking about how there is always someone else for you and she eventually came round.
I would say 'don't worry about what ifs' because it will only make you more anxious about getting in a relationship and you don't need that.
When you are in a relationship, tell your family and do what you do when you have any friend over, you don't have to ask for permission to do things.
But I know what you mean.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Em395)
Mothers' being protective is not a bad thing, because if anything goes wrong you know she'll be there for you.
I remember when my sister (younger twin) was in a relationship and the guy tried to cheat on her with me, she lost her confidence around boys, but we kept talking about how there is always someone else for you and she eventually came round.
I would say 'don't worry about what ifs' because it will only make you more anxious about getting in a relationship and you don't need that.
When you are in a relationship, tell your family and do what you do when you have any friend over, you don't have to ask for permission to do things.
But I know what you mean.
Yeah true I guess it is just like having a friend over, but I’m closer to my dad in the sense that I can talk to him about boys and not feel awkward but obviously it’s different. And every time I get close to a boy I completely end it as I don’t want it to be awkward conversations with my mum if you get me?? How do I overcome this? I think it may be because I’m scared of how she’ll be so overprotective due to my sisters relationship (also 10 years on my sister is now going out with the same guy again)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (328)
92.13%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (28)
7.87%

Watched Threads