• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is related to whether money can buy happiness; do you think it can? What level of impact do you think it has?

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I think that indirectly, yes. Money makes it easier for people to fulfil needs in their lives and purchase the things that bring them joy. Increased resources also reduces stress. Still, money doesn't exist in a vacuum and a rise in wealth is often associated in an increase in responsibility and a worse work:life balance but I think that's a slightly separate debate. Certainly, for a person A and B who are equally alike, the richer individual is happier.

ReputationRep:
    yes, less stress bc u are able to afford basic necessities, and entertainment... 'its nicer to cry in a Lamborghini than a tricycle'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is related to whether money can buy happiness; do you think it can? What level of impact do you think it has?

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion
    Yes money can definitely buy happiness, within reason. Most of the normal life problems people face can be solved with money.

ReputationRep:
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy the kind of misery you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    This has been studied. £50-55,000 has been identified as optimum happiness in numerous academic papers. Above this the happiness curves off with marginal difference.

ReputationRep:
    It depends
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Money can't buy you happiness, but a lack of it can certainly make you miserable and stressed out.

ReputationRep:
    It can temporarily, just not long term/permanent

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the individual but generally yes - up to a certain extent. I saw a study where earning above 40k doesn't increase your happiness in life as much.

ReputationRep:
    Money can solve problems, cannot bring about happiness. Happiness comes from within.

Anyone who thinks money can't buy happiness didn't know where to shop.

True story.

(Original post by GapYaar)
    This has been studied. £50-55,000 has been identified as optimum happiness in numerous academic papers. Above this the happiness curves off with marginal difference.
    These people never had any money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No. Happiness is not a product that can be purchased. Money can buy things that bring you happiness but money itself cannot purchase that happiness.

140 characters isn't really enough to make a post. Including spaces the above line was 148 characters. I'd recommend upping it marginally.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Acsel)
    No. Happiness is not a product that can be purchased. Money can buy things that bring you happiness but money itself cannot purchase that happiness.

140 characters isn't really enough to make a post. Including spaces the above line was 148 characters. I'd recommend upping it marginally.
    I may follow Twitter and up it to 280 for next week
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It can buy whisky and that's pretty much the same thing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PRSOM ^

My contribution: depends what you call happiness. Some people will find happiness in ways which necessitate money. Others don't. I'm happy to be in the latter category.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I may follow Twitter and up it to 280 for next week
    Would make things flow a bit better imo. As a uni student I might have experience trying to cut my word count but at 140 I'm going to have to start using text speak again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy the kind of misery you prefer.
    That is deep, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    Law of diminishing returns is everywhere apparently

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.