Best and worst film adaptations?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Something that always seems to be a cause of controversy is film adaptations, and whether they're better or worse than the book they're based on. Regardless of your stance, however, there's no denying there's a whole lot of them out there.

But what would you consider to be the best and worst film adaptations? Were there any you watched that surprised you in terms of quality, or lack of?
AyoNW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My favourite book adaptation has to be Scott Pilgrim vs The World. It takes liberties in squeezing the 6 graphic novels into one film, but it captures the energy of them so so well. Plus some shot for shot remakes and dialogue taken straight from the books that are so perfect.
Least favourite adaptation is probably Battle Royale, the book was way better imo.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by AyoNW)
My favourite book adaptation has to be Scott Pilgrim vs The World. It takes liberties in squeezing the 6 graphic novels into one film, but it captures the energy of them so so well. Plus some shot for shot remakes and dialogue taken straight from the books that are so perfect.
Least favourite adaptation is probably Battle Royale, the book was way better imo.
I still need to read the Scott Pilgrim books, but the film was very well done based on what I have seen of them - we'll see if I'm still saying that after I've done reading, but I'm hopeful!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the film matilda is way better than the book. I love that film.
indy1999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Something that always seems to be a cause of controversy is film adaptations, and whether they're better or worse than the book they're based on. Regardless of your stance, however, there's no denying there's a whole lot of them out there.

But what would you consider to be the best and worst film adaptations? Were there any you watched that surprised you in terms of quality, or lack of?
The Percy Jackson movies are literally the worst adaptations, the books are so much better and have more depth
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by indy1999)
The Percy Jackson movies are literally the worst adaptations, the books are so much better and have more depth
Definitely agree with this, I absolutely loved the books, but the films were so disappointingly awful!
indy1999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely agree with this, I absolutely loved the books, but the films were so disappointingly awful!
Absolutely, the movies were so watered down, it was embarrassing
SAMHANLEY88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

lord of the rings as best!
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Dark Tower.

Possibly one of the worst films of 2017. Thank god it's been picked up by amazon for a TV series.
flabi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While I do love the Harry Potter films, the characters don't have nearly as much depth as they do in the books which is quite disappointing for me. Having said that, it's still amazing to see the wizarding world life
username3786078
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's already been stated, but Tolkien's novels were beautifully adapted for the screen.

As for the worst, I would personally say the film adaptation of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I feel that Jim Carrey's portrayal of Count Olaf didn't do the character any justice whatsoever, and I think adapting it in the form of a feature film was a terrible idea in the first place; it's much better suited as a television series, I find, so I'm extremely glad that Netflix have now adapted it in this way.

(I watched the Netflix adaptation online only recently, as I don't have Netflix, and I thought it was terrific.)
Davidee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hallo
I really want to say something
Snufkin
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Less(e/o)n)
It's already been stated, but Tolkien's novels were beautifully adapted for the screen.
The Hobbit wasn't - it was bloody awful, in fact.
username3786078
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
The Hobbit wasn't - it was bloody awful, in fact.
What brought you to that conclusion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads