x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Something that always seems to be a cause of controversy is film adaptations, and whether they're better or worse than the book they're based on. Regardless of your stance, however, there's no denying there's a whole lot of them out there.

But what would you consider to be the best and worst film adaptations? Were there any you watched that surprised you in terms of quality, or lack of?

ReputationRep:
    My favourite book adaptation has to be Scott Pilgrim vs The World. It takes liberties in squeezing the 6 graphic novels into one film, but it captures the energy of them so so well. Plus some shot for shot remakes and dialogue taken straight from the books that are so perfect.
    Least favourite adaptation is probably Battle Royale, the book was way better imo.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AyoNW)
    My favourite book adaptation has to be Scott Pilgrim vs The World. It takes liberties in squeezing the 6 graphic novels into one film, but it captures the energy of them so so well. Plus some shot for shot remakes and dialogue taken straight from the books that are so perfect.
    Least favourite adaptation is probably Battle Royale, the book was way better imo.
    I still need to read the Scott Pilgrim books, but the film was very well done based on what I have seen of them - we'll see if I'm still saying that after I've done reading, but I'm hopeful!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think the film matilda is way better than the book. I love that film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Something that always seems to be a cause of controversy is film adaptations, and whether they're better or worse than the book they're based on. Regardless of your stance, however, there's no denying there's a whole lot of them out there.

But what would you consider to be the best and worst film adaptations? Were there any you watched that surprised you in terms of quality, or lack of?
    The Percy Jackson movies are literally the worst adaptations, the books are so much better and have more depth
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by indy1999)
    The Percy Jackson movies are literally the worst adaptations, the books are so much better and have more depth
    Definitely agree with this, I absolutely loved the books, but the films were so disappointingly awful!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree with this, I absolutely loved the books, but the films were so disappointingly awful!
    Absolutely, the movies were so watered down, it was embarrassing

ReputationRep:

lord of the rings as best!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    The Dark Tower.

Possibly one of the worst films of 2017. Thank god it's been picked up by amazon for a TV series.

ReputationRep:
    While I do love the Harry Potter films, the characters don't have nearly as much depth as they do in the books which is quite disappointing for me. Having said that, it's still amazing to see the wizarding world life

ReputationRep:
    It's already been stated, but Tolkien's novels were beautifully adapted for the screen.

As for the worst, I would personally say the film adaptation of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I feel that Jim Carrey's portrayal of Count Olaf didn't do the character any justice whatsoever, and I think adapting it in the form of a feature film was a terrible idea in the first place; it's much better suited as a television series, I find, so I'm extremely glad that Netflix have now adapted it in this way.

(I watched the Netflix adaptation online only recently, as I don't have Netflix, and I thought it was terrific.)

ReputationRep:
    Hallo
    I really want to say something
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    It's already been stated, but Tolkien's novels were beautifully adapted for the screen.
    The Hobbit wasn't - it was bloody awful, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The Hobbit wasn't - it was bloody awful, in fact.
    What brought you to that conclusion?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.