Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have a chance of studying Law at Cambridge University? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    And I remembered why the old farts of the law forum are necessary after all.

I hope you're trolling the OP
    he's not going to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    he's not going to Cambridge.
    Mmm, I think that we figured out as much

At least I identified a sarcastic post correctly for once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Mmm, I think that we figured out as much

At least I identified a sarcastic post correctly for once
    Don't assume too much good faith. The investigation is still ongoing.

ReputationRep:
    no. not unless you get 100.0% in your LNAT.
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    No, he showed us anything is possible. Not mere hope but real-life demonstration. Magical.

I surely hope OP can manage to get 100% on their LNAT. It should really assist with their application to Cambridge.
    Inb4 Cambridge doesn't use LNAT.

Looks like CollectiveSoul is an admissions tutor. RIP OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Inb4 Cambridge doesn't use LNAT.

Looks like CollectiveSoul is an admissions tutor. RIP OP
    didn't know Cambridge doesn't use the LNAT. OP still isn't going to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    See JohanGRK!

ReputationRep:
    When did you and your colleagues decide this?

ReputationRep:
    When did you and your colleagues decide this?
    the OPs ambitions to read Law at Cambridge shouldn't get to the stage of requiring a decision from anyone

ReputationRep:
    the OPs ambitions to read Law at Cambridge shouldn't get to the stage of requiring a decision from anyone
    Coming from someone who didn't read law.

And didn't study at Cambridge.

Lastly, thinks Cambridge uses the LNAT.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about you but I feel like I could get into Cambridge to study Law despite having **** GCSE results if I wanted to, that is if you meet the entry requirements which is definitely no walk in the park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I don't know about you but I feel like I could get into Cambridge to study Law despite having **** GCSE results if I wanted to, that is if you meet the entry requirements which is definitely no walk in the park
    A*AA is quite easy, to be honest. Getting the offer is the pain in the *******s.

ReputationRep:
    A*AA is quite easy, to be honest. Getting the offer is the pain in the *******s.
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone in TSR said that getting A*AA is easy, you only have to be within my shoes to understand how hard it is for your average person to get those grades. If you said that at my school everyone will call you insane!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone in TSR said that getting A*AA is easy, you only have to be within my shoes to understand how hard it is for your average person to get those grades. If you said that at my school everyone will call you insane!
    Sorry, let me rephrase. For Cambridge Law applicants, getting A*AA is the easy bit. For them, it is getting an offer which causes the bother. All of them will have A*AA predictions, many will far exceed this come Results Day, yet only a small percentage will be lucky enough to get given an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, let me rephrase. For Cambridge Law applicants, getting A*AA is the easy bit. For them, it is getting an offer which causes the bother. All of them will have A*AA predictions, many will far exceed this come Results Day, yet only a small percentage will be lucky enough to get given an offer.
    Ah yes, now that makes more sense!

ReputationRep:
    You're a bit of a cheeky monkey aren't you

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

The best 3 A Level grades of a median Cambridge student is A*A*A, taking into account sciences and maths inflate this.

I feel like A*AA is a bit hard to get for humanities subjects. I've done it in sciences but subjectivity in exams marking can come for you hard.

It's probably why theres no humanities degree that requires A*A*A to my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

The best 3 A Level grades of a Cambridge student is A*A*A, taking into account sciences and maths inflate this.

I feel like A*AA is a bit hard to get for humanities subjects. I've done it in sciences but subjectivity in exams marking can come for you hard.

It's probably why theres no humanities degree that requires A*A*A to my knowledge.
    Less than you'd think at degree level, and so I tentatively assume the same at A-Level (though I can't speak authoritatively for that). A great, well-argued essay is a great, well-argued essay regardless of whether or not you agree with it. Getting top grades in essay-based subjects is still pretty formulaic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Less than you'd think at degree level, and so I tentatively assume the same at A-Level (though I can't speak authoritatively for that). A great, well-argued essay is a great, well-argued essay regardless of whether or not you agree with it. Getting top grades in essay-based subjects is still pretty formulaic.
    Still not as formulaic as maths though; you can "guarantee" yourself an A* by being very good at it.

History in my school seemed to be hit or miss whether something would be graded A or A*. History nationally also has the lowest/one of the lowest A* attainment rates among mainstream subjects.

But who knows, maybe I'm just more of a science guy

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

The best 3 A Level grades of a Cambridge student is A*A*A, taking into account sciences and maths inflate this.

The premise of your argument is that A*AA for humanities is harder than A*AA for STEM. That is no doubt true, but it does not mean that A*AA for humanities is "hard". Thanks to John, we know the average successful Cambridge law applicant has 3.4 A* and .5 A. IB it is 44. But maybe all high-performing students are pushed towards Oxbridge and nevertheless for the whole (encompassing unsuccessful applicants) it is quite challenging to get A*AA.

For law, Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, now Bristol and formerly Notts are filled with A*AA+ students. Indeed, even some of the third tiers have significant numbers. Last year for Exeter Law, around a quarter of A-Level students enrolling had A*AA+. Exeter and Warwick have the highest average entry of the third tiers, but it is reasonable to think the likes of York and Leeds are similar. Even Liverpool has 9% enrolling with A*AA+! Plenty of people who do not go to Oxbridge manage it.

Plus the STEM vs humanities dichotomy is not relevant, as a good number of law students have partial or even predominant STEM backgrounds. Part of the reason is that law at degree-level is only a partially essay-based subject. Even for essay questions, the smoothness of your writing is immaterial. We are more "brunt-force" type writers, as evidenced by my writing style as opposed to gjd's!

ReputationRep:
    Still not as formulaic as maths though; you can "guarantee" yourself an A* by being very good at it.

History in my school seemed to be hit or miss whether something would be graded A or A*. History nationally also has the lowest/one of the lowest A* attainment rates among mainstream subjects.

But who knows, maybe I'm just more of a science guy
    I understand your point, I'm just not sure it's necessarily the case. Of course it is more straightforward to get a 'right' answer in maths and science exams, but I still hazard that the same factors come into play - good teaching, effective practice. The main thing in essay based subjects is that people don;t understand how to construct an effective argument. That can be taught.

Maybe the way they are marked at A-Level has something to do with it, too - I have just seen a thread on here where the person complains about harsh personal insults in the comments. Unthinkable at degree level. The thing you say about history also suggests a marking issue to me. The shifting of boundaries to preserve averages and so on is not a concern at degree level, either. We just don't do it.

Without blowing my own trumpet too hard, I didn't drop below an 80 in my final year at undergraduate and that was in an essay-based subject (philosophy). It's not that I am the greatest mind of a generation (not even the greatest mind in my house, actually), it's just that I know how to write a good essay. It can be taught.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.