Turn on thread page Beta

Would you spend 6 grand on a car if you have the money ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    An older Ibiza (the older sport models are held in high regard), a fiesta, any small engine nissan that isn't a micra (the almera might be a small engine I think), an older a-class mercedes like a 53/54 reg (road tax is a bit dear and insurance is dependant on where you live as it's a 1.4l engine, but you were going to get a 1.4l anyway), a 2006 yaris (67bhp of glory hnnnng, but it's a half decent "uni and back car"; just don't try to do much else with it), I can also heartily endorse the Suziki Swift.

Also obligatory "don't get an old corsa".
    i would not recommend a 2004/2003 A-class the clutchs go on them after 70,000

ReputationRep:
    Would I buy a car for £6000?: Yes
    Do I have that money?: No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damn daniel yeah)
    i would not recommend a 2004/2003 A-class the clutchs go on them after 70,000
    Their crash safety rating is probably somewhat more of a concern. They run well, but generally old mercs are not good to hold onto long-term, think my Dad's 53 a-class lasted around 3 years before a tiny knock on his bumper caused a leak and ended the car, never had to replace the clutch though but then again he bought it at around 90k. The work he had to do on it around 100k was not cheap however in hindsight I confess this was probably the poorest recommendation in that post.

ReputationRep:
    Why not a 2010 Corsa, I’m sure you can get them for about 3k and they are comfortable, decent leg room and easy to drive. Plus not too expensive to insure
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nevershear)
    I couldn't choose one.

Attachment 728078

I hope this answers your query. I don't think I could ever live with myself if I allowed anyone in this section to go out and buy one of these, like actually spend real money on them (monopoly money is ok subject to conditions).

There are other cheap and cheerful cars that don't look nearly as bad (the Swift for a start, even a Peugeot)
    Id still have one. Any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    lol I spent 6k on an exhaust

In all seriousness, think about buying a 'nice' car once you've built up some no-claims.

ReputationRep:
    No, because I don't need one and I feel it is a waste. If I did buy a car it would be something that is cheap and efficient. I don't need a sports car or limo to get around just like everyone else. A car is for travel in my opinion. (Don't care about style or looks. Obviously keeping your car clean is a must, don't want anything being damaged.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyman0121)
    No, because I don't need one and I feel it is a waste. If I did buy a car it would be something that is cheap and efficient. I don't need a sports car or limo to get around just like everyone else. A car is for travel in my opinion. (Don't care about style or looks. Obviously keeping your car clean is a must, don't want anything being damaged.)
    It’s 6k Lol he ain’t getting a limo or a Ferrari 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hraaami)
    It’s 6k Lol he ain’t getting a limo or a Ferrari 😂😂😂
    I know I am just saying if I can get a car for 2000 and it is about the same as a car that is 10000. The only difference is the make and maybe a few visuals. I would go for the 2000 one since I don't need the visual things.

ReputationRep:
    Damn right I would! Bought myself a new car on October just past which I’d been saving up for years to get! Best feeling ever grinding it out to actually get something you really really want! Of course this isn’t always a car, some people grind it out for other things and that’s ok but for me it was the car! £10k handed over and it was worth every single penny 😍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveboi115)
    Damn right I would! Bought myself a new car on October just past which I’d been saving up for years to get! Best feeling ever grinding it out to actually get something you really really want! Of course this isn’t always a car, some people grind it out for other things and that’s ok but for me it was the car! £10k handed over and it was worth every single penny 😍
    That's the thing, the car that I really really want is about £4500 the cheapest. What car did you get? just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. red)
    That's the thing, the car that I really really want is about £4500 the cheapest. What car did you get? just out of interest.
    If that’s the car you want then go for it! I got a 2011 BMW e92 coupe, 320d Msport in arctic white 👌🏼
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea why there’s two images there I can’t get rid of the other one, anyway the silver alloys is mine.

ReputationRep:
    If that’s the car you want then go for it! I got a 2011 BMW e92 coupe, 320d Msport in arctic white 👌🏼
    Damnn... That is one sweet ride. If you're saying that is your first car then you must be paying ridiculous insurance.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not my first car man it’s my second, but I bought myself a *****y run around when I passed my test like 6 years ago now (Eeeek!) and have saved since then to get myself something super nice! My insurance literally double from the old fiesta I drove but I’m still only paying £1200 which I’m more than happy to pay for that beast lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyman0121)
    I know I am just saying if I can get a car for 2000 and it is about the same as a car that is 10000. The only difference is the make and maybe a few visuals
    Depends which car. If it's a used car then chances are the 10k one probably also has much better braking, handling, better ride quality, better build quality, better/more features, better entertainment, better traction, stronger engine, more torque, more safety features, better headlights, more comfortable interior amongst others...

ReputationRep:
    I’m still only paying £1200 which I’m more than happy to pay for that beast lol
    4cyl diesel is beastly? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Depends which car. If it's a used car then chances are the 10k one probably also has much better braking, handling, better ride quality, better build quality, better/more features, better entertainment, better traction, stronger engine, more torque, more safety features, better headlights, more comfortable interior amongst others...
    I meant if they were both new. I know it is near impossible to get a car new for that amount but this is an example.

ReputationRep:
    putting all your savings into a car?

People like you are the ones that will forever struggle with money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomazo)
    putting all your savings into a car?

People like you are the ones that will forever struggle with money.
    I'm not really gonna spend all that money maybe half but your comment is true.
    Just want a decent and good looking car as a 21 year old and not having to take the bus spending 2 and a half hours to go to uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.