The Student Room Group

Would you spend 6 grand on a car if you have the money ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by damn daniel yeah
i would not recommend a 2004/2003 A-class the clutchs go on them after 70,000

Their crash safety rating is probably somewhat more of a concern. They run well, but generally old mercs are not good to hold onto long-term, think my Dad's 53 a-class lasted around 3 years before a tiny knock on his bumper caused a leak and ended the car, never had to replace the clutch though but then again he bought it at around 90k. The work he had to do on it around 100k was not cheap however in hindsight I confess this was probably the poorest recommendation in that post.
Why not a 2010 Corsa, I’m sure you can get them for about 3k and they are comfortable, decent leg room and easy to drive. Plus not too expensive to insure
Original post by nevershear
I couldn't choose one.

Attachment not found

I hope this answers your query. I don't think I could ever live with myself if I allowed anyone in this section to go out and buy one of these, like actually spend real money on them (monopoly money is ok subject to conditions).

There are other cheap and cheerful cars that don't look nearly as bad (the Swift for a start, even a Peugeot)

Id still have one. Any day of the week.
Reply 23
lol I spent 6k on an exhaust

In all seriousness, think about buying a 'nice' car once you've built up some no-claims.
No, because I don't need one and I feel it is a waste. If I did buy a car it would be something that is cheap and efficient. I don't need a sports car or limo to get around just like everyone else. A car is for travel in my opinion. (Don't care about style or looks. Obviously keeping your car clean is a must, don't want anything being damaged.)
Original post by monkeyman0121
No, because I don't need one and I feel it is a waste. If I did buy a car it would be something that is cheap and efficient. I don't need a sports car or limo to get around just like everyone else. A car is for travel in my opinion. (Don't care about style or looks. Obviously keeping your car clean is a must, don't want anything being damaged.)

It’s 6k Lol he ain’t getting a limo or a Ferrari 😂😂😂
Original post by hraaami
It’s 6k Lol he ain’t getting a limo or a Ferrari 😂😂😂

I know I am just saying if I can get a car for 2000 and it is about the same as a car that is 10000. The only difference is the make and maybe a few visuals. I would go for the 2000 one since I don't need the visual things.
Damn right I would! Bought myself a new car on October just past which I’d been saving up for years to get! Best feeling ever grinding it out to actually get something you really really want! Of course this isn’t always a car, some people grind it out for other things and that’s ok but for me it was the car! £10k handed over and it was worth every single penny 😍
Reply 28
Original post by Daveboi115
Damn right I would! Bought myself a new car on October just past which I’d been saving up for years to get! Best feeling ever grinding it out to actually get something you really really want! Of course this isn’t always a car, some people grind it out for other things and that’s ok but for me it was the car! £10k handed over and it was worth every single penny 😍

That's the thing, the car that I really really want is about £4500 the cheapest. What car did you get? just out of interest.
Original post by Mr. red
That's the thing, the car that I really really want is about £4500 the cheapest. What car did you get? just out of interest.

If that’s the car you want then go for it! I got a 2011 BMW e92 coupe, 320d Msport in arctic white 👌🏼
(edited 6 years ago)
I have no idea why there’s two images there I can’t get rid of the other one, anyway the silver alloys is mine.
Reply 31
If that’s the car you want then go for it! I got a 2011 BMW e92 coupe, 320d Msport in arctic white 👌🏼

Damnn... That is one sweet ride. If you're saying that is your first car then you must be paying ridiculous insurance.
It’s not my first car man it’s my second, but I bought myself a *****y run around when I passed my test like 6 years ago now (Eeeek!) and have saved since then to get myself something super nice! My insurance literally double from the old fiesta I drove but I’m still only paying £1200 which I’m more than happy to pay for that beast lol
Reply 33
Original post by monkeyman0121
I know I am just saying if I can get a car for 2000 and it is about the same as a car that is 10000. The only difference is the make and maybe a few visuals

Depends which car. If it's a used car then chances are the 10k one probably also has much better braking, handling, better ride quality, better build quality, better/more features, better entertainment, better traction, stronger engine, more torque, more safety features, better headlights, more comfortable interior amongst others...
Reply 34
I’m still only paying £1200 which I’m more than happy to pay for that beast lol

4cyl diesel is beastly? :confused:
Original post by NX172
Depends which car. If it's a used car then chances are the 10k one probably also has much better braking, handling, better ride quality, better build quality, better/more features, better entertainment, better traction, stronger engine, more torque, more safety features, better headlights, more comfortable interior amongst others...

I meant if they were both new. I know it is near impossible to get a car new for that amount but this is an example.
putting all your savings into a car?

People like you are the ones that will forever struggle with money.
Reply 37
Original post by Thomazo
putting all your savings into a car?

People like you are the ones that will forever struggle with money.

I'm not really gonna spend all that money maybe half but your comment is true.
Just want a decent and good looking car as a 21 year old and not having to take the bus spending 2 and a half hours to go to uni.
Original post by NX172
4cyl diesel is beastly? :confused:

Compare to the 1.2 petrol fiesta I drove beforehand it’s a challenger tank mate 😂 Literally double the horsepower and tenfold increase in fun factor haha
Reply 39
Original post by Mr. red
I have saved up 8 grand (and more) from working every weekend for the past 2 1/2 years. I passed my driving test a year ago and I'm planning to buy a car soon so I can use it to travel to university. I was looking at the 14 and 15 plate seat ibiza toca model which can cost up to 6 grand . I really want the car and it would cost me about 2 grand to insure WITHOUT a black box. I'm still working every weekend in which I earn about £600 a month and I will be receiving student loan maintenance money (about 2-3 grand) a year. I'm 21 and I pay £150 for council tax to help with our rent (I live with my dad). Do you think it is wise to spend that kind of money and do you think I could afford it? I also picked this car because it has a good re-sell value than other competitors.

Of course, money is all relative. But my advice given your circumstances would be to not squander it all on a car, particularly your first car. In fact it would be prudent to look for the cheapest, most reliable car you can possible afford as your first car. No more than say £2,000 for a cheap reliable runabout as a start to build up your experience and no claims bonus. Remember, it's not a forever car - it's just a make do. Like with most things, you have to start small on the ladder and build your way up to your dream car. You'll probably have to drive a *****y little 1L-1.2L car for a couple of years, but it makes huge financial sense in the long term.

You're only 21, so I can understand if you probably don't want to be hearing this, but a car will probably be a persons distant 2nd or 3rd most expensive purchase in their lifetime. It would be wise to put the leftover savings towards either an emergency savings pot, a house deposit or even making a decent start on your pension. All these things require a huge amount of long term investment and you can never be too early to think about these things. So many people waste the perfect opportunity, don't be one of them.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest