Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you spend 6 grand on a car if you have the money ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    4cyl diesel is beastly? :confused:
    Compare to the 1.2 petrol fiesta I drove beforehand it’s a challenger tank mate 😂 Literally double the horsepower and tenfold increase in fun factor haha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. red)
    I have saved up 8 grand (and more) from working every weekend for the past 2 1/2 years. I passed my driving test a year ago and I'm planning to buy a car soon so I can use it to travel to university. I was looking at the 14 and 15 plate seat ibiza toca model which can cost up to 6 grand . I really want the car and it would cost me about 2 grand to insure WITHOUT a black box. I'm still working every weekend in which I earn about £600 a month and I will be receiving student loan maintenance money (about 2-3 grand) a year. I'm 21 and I pay £150 for council tax to help with our rent (I live with my dad). Do you think it is wise to spend that kind of money and do you think I could afford it? I also picked this car because it has a good re-sell value than other competitors.
    Of course, money is all relative. But my advice given your circumstances would be to not squander it all on a car, particularly your first car. In fact it would be prudent to look for the cheapest, most reliable car you can possible afford as your first car. No more than say £2,000 for a cheap reliable runabout as a start to build up your experience and no claims bonus. Remember, it's not a forever car - it's just a make do. Like with most things, you have to start small on the ladder and build your way up to your dream car. You'll probably have to drive a *****y little 1L-1.2L car for a couple of years, but it makes huge financial sense in the long term.

You're only 21, so I can understand if you probably don't want to be hearing this, but a car will probably be a persons distant 2nd or 3rd most expensive purchase in their lifetime. It would be wise to put the leftover savings towards either an emergency savings pot, a house deposit or even making a decent start on your pension. All these things require a huge amount of long term investment and you can never be too early to think about these things. So many people waste the perfect opportunity, don't be one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i would. I would never ever spend soo much money on a watch though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    Yes i would. I would never ever spend soo much money on a watch though
    That's because it has low priority. You probably wouldn't say that if your mortgage was nearly paid off, already own 2 nice cars, have plenty of savings and investments and have your dependents paid for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    That's because it has low priority. You probably wouldn't say that if your mortgage was nearly paid off, already own 2 nice cars, have plenty of savings and investments and have your dependents paid for.
    It’s literally just there to tell the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    It’s literally just there to tell the time.
    Or it could be a fashion accessory?

If you have to justify every purchase from a practicality standpoint then obviously luxury isn't going to make sense.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.