Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The points A(1,0), B(7,2) and C(13,7) are the vertices of a triangle.
    The midpoints of the sides BC, CA and AB are L, M and N.
    Find the vector equation of the lines AL

I got an answer of (1,0) + λ(3,2.5) by doing:
    AL = OA + AL, however the book has an answer of (1,0) + λ(2,1), and i'm not sure how they got that answer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by znx)
    The points A(1,0), B(7,2) and C(13,7) are the vertices of a triangle.
    The midpoints of the sides BC, CA and AB are L, M and N.
    Find the vector equation of the lines AL

I got an answer of (1,0) + λ(3,2.5) by doing:
    AL = OA + AL, however the book has an answer of (1,0) + λ(2,1), and i'm not sure how they got that answer.
    L is the midpoint of BC. So its coordinate is (10,4.5). The vector AL is thus OL-OA = (9,4.5) = 4.5(2,1) which has direction (2,1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    L is the midpoint of BC. So its coordinate is (10,4.5). The vector AL is thus OL-OA = (9,4.5) = 4.5(2,1) which has direction (2,1).
    Thank you mate for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    For the vector equation for BM:
    I did the same thing as for AL, which is BM = OM - OB, and i got an answer of (0,1.5) However the book says it should be (0,1)?

And for CN:
    I got it as (-3,-2), but the book got it as (3,2) - does the negative make a difference?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by znx)
    For the vector equation for BM:
    I did the same thing as for AL, which is BM = OM - OB, and i got an answer of (0,1.5) However the book says it should be (0,1)?

And for CN:
    I got it as (-3,-2), but the book got it as (3,2) - does the negative make a difference?
    You can take out a factor of 1.5 and have the direction as (0,1)

The -ve doesnt make a difference as that's just going the other way. You can factor it out too.

In case you're wondering why we can do these, it's because if you end up with some vector equation \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{a} + t (5\mathbf{b}) then you can just move the common factor of 5 from the vector  \mathbf{b} to combine it with the t to give 5t. But time is generally an unrestricted parameter so 5t will take all the values anyway just as t would on its own, so you may as well replace 5t back with t as it makes no difference.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.